Re: OT - Poetry competitions...( Sarah)

Arthur Seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:44:32 -0000

text/plain

Hi Sarah. The List is essentially  a workshop for poetry and welcomes
comment and criticism from members to members, also a site for discussion of
poetics, for the want of a better word. However it is also used as a site
for the dissemination of news  from the poetry world that might be
interesting to members . No one would have objected if you had posted
information about the Competiton here. Regards Arthur.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Willans" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: OT - Poetry competitions...

Golly gosh, Grasshopper,
No, I didn't mention it on the Works. I didn't like to use this list for
what might be perceived as advertising. I agree - Helena's own poetry and
the support she gives to other poets are admirable. 'Starlight on Water' is
a wonderful read. You only get a critique from Helena in our competition if
you are one of the winners, however - everyone else had to make do with me
and my group. The process we adopted was to discuss each poem as a group,
and then I'd amalgamate the views expressed into (I hope) a coherent whole
and write to the poet. I think this made for a pretty full appraisal of the
work, and we certainly enjoyed it. The standard of entries was much higher
than I expected, though we did get some unbelievably bad stuff too, of
course. My 'top tips' for competition entrants would be: 1) Read the rules.
2) Don't try to draw attention to your work by using fancy fonts, clip art
(yes, really), huge titles or upper case throughout - they do indeed draw
attention, but not in a good way. 3) Don't write about the death of your
mother (unless you've got something arrestingly new to say about it), the
pointlessness of war (ditto) in a poem entitled 'Why?', or the psychiatrist
who sectioned you.  4) Pay close attention to spelling, punctuation and
grammar. Unintentional changes of tense are particularly common and
off-putting.

The worst bit about running a competition like this is knowing that, out of
all these terrific poems, only three will win anything. We will be writing
to all those shortlisted to tell them how close they came, however.

Best wishes, Sarah