Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Domestic geography- Grasshopper

grasshopper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:22:20 -0000

text/plain

Dear Mike,
I promised I would comment further on this poem, and the fact that it seemed
to me that forgiveness came out of nowhere. Forgiveness, it seems to me is a
pretty loaded word -I think most people thinking about 'forgiveness' would
think of it in a wider sense than forgiveness after a lovers' tiff -esp when
coupled with fear filling the view.....
I feel you are expecting a reader to read this rather like a detective
story, but frankly, even for that genre, I don't think there are enough
clues. You say that the roses should be read as a peace-offering - why? Is
it a male thing to regard the presence of flowers as clear evidence of a
former quarrel and subsequent  peace-offering? Is this what any vase of
flowers immediately suggests to you?
Taking the red roses in themselves as a symbol, the most obvious
significance is love and passion, not a symbol of guilt. There is an old
'language of flowers' and I am pretty sure that roses never symbolised
forgiveness.

"Fear fills my view of the prospect.
 The deep blue of repose is so far,
 so great the leap into the lap of forgiveness"
I think it is too much a case of you knowing what you intended but not
communicating it clearly enough to a reader, so I think this ending comes
across as overblown, and, as I said , unjustified. And this is ,of course,
just my opinion.
Kind regards,
    grasshopper