Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Domestic geography - Bob

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:46:49 +0000

text/plain

Hi Mike,
I'll slip comments just beneath your comments... (if you know what I mean).
I guess, if anyone else is reading, that helps them, too, see what's
ongoing...
Bob

>From: Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Domestic geography - Bob
>Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:04:42 +0200
>
> > Hello Bob,
>             Many thanks for your comments on this one, which I´ll give
>careful consideration. Your idea about changing the position of the red
>roses is an interesting one. During composition I wanted this to be the
>slightest of slight hints as I have become hyper-sensitive to `telling not
>showing´ (at least, when I remember to be!). I thought it could be quite
>fun to introduce the roses so that their `significance´ (horrible word, but
>I can´t avoid it just now) might easily be missed. BE BOLD IN POETRY, BE
>DRAMATIC (IF NEEDS BE).
The counter-argument, of course, is what the jolly merry is the point of
trying to confuse the reader and I must bare my head in shame and say,
truly, I do not know. You were clearly taken with the carpet´s being
Persian. I sense that you think I´ve performed a cunning feat here. Sadly, I
must confess that I don´t realise what it is. It´s most trying, when someone
perceives great subtlety and skill in one´s productions, to have to say, `I
didn´t know I´d done it´. Also, your comment on `intricate´ being taken as
understood with regard to Persian carpets raises a problem that still
bothers me. How am I to know when, and when not, to refer to self-evident
facts? It´s come up recently elsewhere. Eliot in `Portrait of a Lady´refers
to `the ceiling overhead´. Of course, anyone can blunder, would you say
Eliot had done so there? YEH, I GUESS THIS IS ONE THAT GOT PAST HIS PAL EZRA
ASWELL. ELIOT, LIKE EVERYONE, MADE  MISTAKES/BLUNDERS/THINGS HE'D PROBABLY
HAVE CHANGED IF HE'D GOT ROUND TO IT, TOO!
I´m not quite sure that I see you distinction between the `tabletop plain´
and the `teacup peaks...´ in terms of effectiveness. They seem much of a
muchness to me, but perhaps, again, I´m being insensitive to a nuance here.
YEH, NUANCE... I GUESS "tabletop plain" COULD BE MISCONSTURED AS AN
INVERSION... AND MAYBE TWO IMAGES ARE ENOUGH TO GIVE THE SCENE ANYWAY...
Your criticisms of the last stanza are more forceful and I´ll have to give
some time to the Victorian mountaineer´s postcard (!) Did you pick up the
secondary sense? - `view´=opinion/point of view; `prospect´= future event
i.e. confession and the probable need for penance. YEH... BUT...
Yes, `repose´ is a bit archaic, though a lovely word. Am I going too far if
I say that, in my mind, `so far´ plays with `sofa´? Incidentally, we have a
lovely deep blue sofa, very reposeful. YEH... BUT... THE POEM DOESN'T
MENTION A LEAP ONTO A "SOFA"!!!!

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger