Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: the appropriate metaphor - cont.

Sally Evans <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:46:52 +0000

text/plain

some things just do carry associations culturally, and you have to be aware
of them, like "Nearer to thee" being the Titanic film music (and indeed part
of the story). After certain treatments, some phrases can never be the same
again,- if they are used too often they actually ecome cliches - and those
associations will always cling to them when they are used.
They can be used in the opposite way to add cultural implications to a
piece, of course.
bw
SallyE