Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: Musical chairs - Bob

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:16:36 +0000

text/plain

Hi Mike,
I think it would be a shame to ditch the poem! I find it appealing,
promising. It could, however, be one of those poems that needs a long sleep
- while you get on with writing other things - before it and you can work
together again... I don't know how long a poem takes to get itself right.
Responding further to what you're saying about the 2 phrases I queried:
"desirable elements" and "little birds."
I see what you're doing now with "desirable elements" - and it's witty now I
know where it's come from! But when I read it initially I, for one, couldn't
see it working like you've explained it in the poem. I don't know if it's
just me being insensitive to what I'm reading or the words in the poem not
being readable with the accent/raised-eyebrow tone you wish. Maybe there's
ways (like italics?) to stress the words more and give more chance of seeing
how they should be understood...
The second phrase, little birds, is, to me, so removed from the whole phrase
"a little bird (singular) told me" that I may have got what you were
alluding to if I'd read "A little bird... etc"
I sense poetry can play lots of half submerged games within a poem - and
this is a playful poem - so, if you want to include such games it might just
be that I'm not bright enough, or (if no-one else gets them either) they
don't work well enough.
And then something else...
You made a comment in your reply to grasshopper about punctuation - with the
comment, "does it matter all that much?" (I may be paraphrasing a tad here).
I'm wanting to but in and say Yes it matters! In poems there's changes in
what's used that follow trends, or fashions, but they guide the reader in
how the piece is read, they can also introduce subtleties.
I rage against my computer because MS Word sometimes decides (wrongly) to
change what I'm indending (even tho I've previously told it not to do such
things!). Bill Gates, it seems, can't read poems, can't understand how
people write poems!
(Oh, and now I need reading glasses I really hate stuff printed out in
Arial! I sometimes can't see what's a comma and what's a full stop - they're
so small and so similar - but now I'm moaning, moaning, and wandering off
the subject!!! LOL!)
Best wishes,
Bob