Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: Poem about a tree - Colin

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:26:53 +0300

text/plain

Some thoughts inserted in your text below:

>> Lähettäjä: Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]>
> Päiväys: 2003/09/24 ke PM 08:53:42 GMT+03:00
> Vastaanottaja: [log in to unmask]
> Aihe: Re: New sub: Poem about a tree - Colin/Mike
>
> Thanks for your explanation in turn, Mike. It has occurred to me that one
> could devise a whole style in poetry dependent on explanations. I'm not in
> favour of this and you're not either (nor anyone else know of) but it's an
> intriguing possibility. Such a book of poems would be like a book of
> crossword puzzles with the "answers" at the back (no less absurd that many
> movements in poetry over the millennia).

Something like Eliot´s `Notes´ to The Waste Land (?)

 This way the poems could get on
> with their activities without having to compromise with intelligibility.
> 'course this forgets the valid point of view (to which you alluded) that
> each reader may find their own response and that there can be no answers,
> but as I'm only joking anyway I won't go on to address that.

But it´s  an intriguing idea - and although each reader can form therir own interpretation, there´s nothing to say that the writer should join in the fun and give his/hers as well.

> I'm intrigued by the use of the trees as an almost incidental coat hanger
> for mood. Or have I got that wrong? Is this something like person X has a
> certain sentiment arising from their own life experience which will be
> expressed  as if were part of the experience of inanimate object Y?

 That´s a pretty fair summary of what I was trying to say. I don´t know whether it´s a valid approach to writing, or whether it comes off, though.

From