Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Sub: Hatching

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:46:55 +0000

text/plain

Hi Arthur,
I was thinking of replying with the same comment as Colin - that the toads
and the mozzies seemed too similar in the poem - then I read your
response...
I was also going to say the whole poem seemed too dense with words that feel
and sound and work in such similar ways (but I guess a crowd of mozzies is
pretty dense when they gather...) so I was wanting to suggest giving it a
haircut (snipping a fair few adjectives and assonaces) remembering Dr.
Johnson who said "If you come across a particularly fine phrase, strike it
out!"
And then I came across something in your reply that intruiged me...
"I do not wish to wander too far from the truth however..." And I'm
thinking, but this is a POEM, dammit, not an entry in a Diary! Poems and
Lies have fun, sleep around, co-habit!(Grin)
Bob

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess