Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: feedback/sabbatical/thanks

Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:09:02 +0100

text/plain

Bob,

Great that you have taken the time to  respond again to ol' Col and his
poem.

Re unemployment: I was as explicit about employment as I was likely to be in
the last stanza. I can't remember exactly what I said but it was sth like, "
I will work as a rag man a bone man, a banger of nails" , implying that the
protag was desperate to find work.  People often talk in this way when they
are desperate for work. Of course they use more exact terms like " dustbin
man, brick-layer, toilet cleaner" and so on. For reasons I won't bore you
with I opted not to use those terms. Earlier on in the poem the protag turns
off at the roundabout when he shouldn't have. This is not an explicit ref to
work but indicates that however he got there it was his own fault ( or I
should say, was a consequence of an earlier decision).

Re My reaction to your amiable search for refs to unemployment, I must
humbly take this as an amber light. I'm getting close to the obscurity
barrier, yet again. Fact is that the feedback here is from a comparatively
elite audience. It's from people who have read, written and criticised a lot
of poetry. To top it all ol' Bob has read one or two of mine now and has had
feedback on his feedback. So if ol' Bob doesn't get it (or some aspect of
it) then what hope has the man on the street? Hence ol' Col should be wary
of pushing thro' the amber light.

Re "Lobster" the protagonist isn't about to eat lobster. He feels like a
lobster caught in a lobster trap. He has got into his predicament but can't
turn back. Or were you joking again in an uninflected kind of a way?

Re The poem finding its own voice, I agree with you on that one. I have
always tried to encourage that process. Might learn something about myself
too. My view of poetry is that it is a compromise between what you want to
say and what wants to be said. Nor do I mind people coming up with their own
interpretation of a poem, as long as it's in the general domain of what I
intended (as indeed you did).

Re: What was going thro' my mind before I wrote the poem, I was fascinated
by how different the world can seem when certain securities are lost. Many
people in society get themselves into a way of doing things that is dull but
reassuring. Life can be so simple. Get up a certain time, do the Reggie
Perrin thing and come home again. All the while they may be dreaming about
something else, poetry perhaps (as pleasant accompaniment or incipient
escape). Why not turn off at the roundabout? This choice is offset by the
possibility of disintegration, imagined or actual.

Re: The Armitage/Kees connections, it was definitely the poems of Kees that
I was reading before I wrote this poem and both consciously and
unconsciously was influenced by the mindset of his characters, particularly
Robinson. Did I use the mindset to look for a subject or was the subject
there and the influence coincidence? I don't know. But I had also read
Armitage (and a very able songster he is too) some time before Kees and this
had included the poem with a similar last line. It could easily have had an
influence too, I don't know. These things are often unconscious. However I
hadn't made the Robinson connection between Kees and Armitage until I subbed
a previous poem about a corpse. Mike tho't it reminded him (slightly) of a
Kees poem (tho' I hadn't read Kees when I wrote it)  and I asked him how
he'd heard of Kees and Mike answered that he knew him thro, Armitage's
Robinson poems. Around the same time I was coming to the realisation that I
had to do better with my titles. They were just too boring. So I thought
that if respected and down to earth people like Simon Armitage can pop
Robinson into their title and not be called obscure then so can small Colin.
The original title was "Detour". How dull can you get? As for "sabbatical"
this was just a passing swipe at irony. I have always liked the word, and
use it in preference to "year out" or "gap year" which sound negative.
Robinson is so unfortunate even his sabbatical is a disaster, no holiday for
sure.

Re: The reader knowing more of Armitage than Kees I don't really mind how
they attribute it or how they see the influences. If anyone wants to see it
as an Armitage poem that's fine, as long as they see it firstly as a poem.

BW and thanks again for your comments.

Colin

and now you've made me want to get my book of Simon Armitage poems out to
read them some more.