Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: feedback/gannets

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:49:01 +0000

text/plain

Hi Colin,

You write: "I wrote it after reading the work of Ted Hughes, especially
"Crow". TH must have known that a crow was another bird to sit alongside
Nightingale, Skylark, Thrush and the other symbolic birds of literature. "

Yeh, I did think about Hughes's Crow (honest!). But I guess I think of Huge
Ted's huge crow as not being as much a real bird in the real world but a
mythical bird... I'd got the impression that you were focused more on
this-worldy gannets on a this-worldly cliff!

I mean I was chatting to a mate yesterday (like y do in a pub when the
football's not yet on the TV...) and, out of the blue, he mentioned he'd
walked past a dead crown on the pavement on his way down. "I'd never seen a
crow look like that!" he said, "It was dead, it was... real!" I guess you'd
have to have seen the look in his eyes as he said these things to get the
full significance of what he was saying but it was so far from Huge Ted's
Crow as well. (We went on to chat about Crow, the book, but that then became
a very different conversation...)

Huge Ted's nature poetry – and Crow, I guess, owes a lot to how he made his
name with the Jaguar and The Thought Fox, etc – is often more visceral, more
focused on one moment. But Crow is also something different – it seems to be
offering a broody, dark, alternative metaphysic… It seems to be a crow in
Huge Ted's head... and it seems to be the least quoted, perhaps least read
and appreciated, of his books. Somehow I didn't (couldn't?) read about your
gannets as being in the head... they seemed to be represented as out there
and not (he says tapping his head) in here...

I guess, with your gannets, I’m suggesting that you need to signal what
you’re doing a tad more clearly… help the reader (or, at least this reader!)
step away from the realism that underpins, say, the poems about you and your
children walking along the path and, more recently, splashing in the burn.
Why am I suggesting a different approach? Because it’s rarely done?
Probably! It reads so different to poems focused on people and where they
are (and my reading's probably coloured by lots of what I've read before as
well as what I read in your poem).

So, when you write: "Why not integrate different frames of reference and
include the scatological and the sublime in one poem?"  I think you're
asking a question that matters! (Well, it's a question that matters to me as
well!). Playing with different registers in the same poem is fun - but, for
me at least, not easy to pull off!

Bob

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger