THE-WORKS  2003

THE-WORKS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Sub: Wildersham Woods - a Question

arthur seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Sep 2025 19:12:54 +0100

text/plain

Not sure I understand the purpose of the question Bob. I suppose many
ballads are about that subject.  I was choosing that form as a sort of mood
setting for the piece simply because as you say many ballads are about such.
By breaking the rhythm, as I did in the inset lines, I was sort of 'Trojan
horsing' a more modern sparsity into the accepted melodic flow of the
ballad.
As a matter of interest I shall be considering the piece in a purely
balladic form just to see.
Wildersham Woods to me is part a local wood at Newsholme Dene and part the
wood where I scattered my wife's ashes in the Valley of Desolation above
Bolton Abbey. This is what was in my head as I wrote at least.
Flyoing off at a tangent, as is my wont, do you like the Border Ballads??
The Wife of Usher's Well. Sir Patrick Spens. Little Musgrove?? Some of my
favourite reads in there. Arthur.