Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: oldsub/title

Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:23:54 +0100

text/plain

Bob,

Thanks for all this, which must have taken some typing. You and your
"post-modern". You make it sound like one of those "you play it funny, I'll
play it straight" jokes (self-mocking). I found out recently that the term
post-modern is used in about 7 different ways according to the discipline
studied - (an architect and a physicist would use it differently)- no doubt
in equally datable ways. But I think the poets were in there first and so
you are on firm ground.

Looking at other people's titles I find that a successful title appears to
introduce the poem and then gains extra signinificance once the poem is
read. A hard process to emulate. Often I find myself with a poem looking for
a title, rather than a title looking for a poem.

Colin