THE-WORKS  2003

THE-WORKS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: A poem in search of a title.

arthur seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:36:55 +0100

text/plain

Thanks very much for the in- depth response, Bob.
I am aware of the lumpiness of the continuity I have begun to wonder if this
derives from the theme.
The' arrow' referred to in S1 is Xeno's arrow, the paradox which perturbed
Greek philosophers/ mathematicians. Xeno argued that from moment to moment
we can say exactly where the arrow is in its flight because at that moment
the arrow is static but if the arrow is at every moment static it must not
move at all and yet it moves. From that moment of puzzlement the calculus
and Newtonian mechanics ultimately devolved and from that Relativity and
Quantum mechanics.
One sleepless night ,of which there are blessedly few, a car passed my house
and its light slid across my curtains and ceiling, the arrow flew and I
dropped into the thought that Time is understood only through motion
observed, the rest of the poem explores the number of ways we observe motion
and in a way us moving through the three physical dimensions and the fourth
Time. 'The sere leaf taps my shoulder' is a reminder of to where we are
ultimately moving and the last S while recognising the final ' stillness '
of death for me as observer, Time will continue through the movement of this
physical container into other forms of life.
It is the effort to get all the depth of that into a pleasing readable form
that is my problem. I could look at the form, I suppose, the quintaines are
not an essential element. They did help impose an economy of diction at the
time.
Again thanks Bob. I shall persist. Arthur