THE-WORKS  2003

THE-WORKS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: poetics: telliness discussion - everyone

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 17 May 2003 11:15:31 +0300

text/plain

Hello All,
          Carl, I think I now undersstand your point here and yes, this I can agree with. I also wonder whether Carl´s `coherence´, Frank´s `story´ that doesn´t `detract from the reader´s  capacity to become involved´ and Sue´s response to Frank´s idea (I don´t have your exact words) may well be different ways of saying the same thing. I´m still bothered though by using beauty as a critical criterion and also by those of Emily D that Sue quoted. Of course we all make our own judgements about beauty in poetry, music or any art but isn´t it too subjective to be a basis for value judgements?
I´m still thinking about Carl´s stress on the need for the `supportive context´. It´s an interesting one and I´m not sure if I´ve properly got hold of how you want to apply it. It sounds, of course, like the organic unity that we´ve all heard about. Does this mean that a poem cannot suddenly take a new departure in mid-course? I´m going to have a look at some poets like Muldoon and Hill, whom I often find difficult to follow, or someone like Ashberry who often doesn´t write in a literal sense and see whether this yardstick will apply to their work. It may be though that I´m taking your comment in too narrow a sense, Carl. You actually say `things need to lead to and to draw from other things´ but how clear does the poet need to make the connection? How far can the poet rely on the reader to supply the link that makes the connection? We have said many times (and it seems to be well agreed) that the writer should not give the reader everything. Examples are needed for this, I feel, and that can lead to rather long and complex messages, but if anyone wants to pursue this further I, for one, will be very interested to hear what they have to say.

Best wishes,   Mike