Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: I am not my mother( Bob, Carl)

arthur seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 May 2003 11:40:38 +0100

text/plain

Isn't there a danger of being too cerebral when we read poetry at the
intensity and with the depth of analysis that you and Carl are practicing
here. Don't misunderstand me, the List is a workshop, work is submitted for
comment and so comment is presumably invited. In-depth analysis can benefit
the analyser and the analysed and is to be applauded when it does. I do not
think I read Thomas or Heaney or Hughes, though with that degree of
intensity and I have to admit that if I did I feel I would miss much that is
required to be 'enjoyed' in a piece. If I were required to write an essay or
even perhaps if I were intrigued as to how a poet had managed to make a poem
capture me so well I might pull a poem apart. But when we pull a poem apart
aren't we just left with a handful of words.
The poem in question spoke to me through the repetition which was repeated
almost like a mantra, almost a reassurance of the poet by the poet but try
as she might she was developing all the things she disliked and feared ( or
perhaps just did not want to recognise as inherent in herself ) in her own
mother. All the evidence she presented indicated that perhaps she was
becoming that which she averred she was not and a fine tension was evident
but more than that that there exists a sisterhood which cannot be shaken off
nor dismissed by a five word assertion. Now that is how the poem struck me
straight off and I do not think analysis would let me glean morethan that
nor do I think I would gain more as poet and a person, a man, by indulging
in any greater depth of reading. That is just my opinion , of course, and I
am a mere man reading a poem written by a woman about the nature of her
womanhood and dare not go to close to such a subject. regards Arthur.