THE-WORKS  2003

THE-WORKS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Sub: Agenbite of Inwit( grasshopper)

grasshopper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 May 2003 21:20:48 +0100

text/plain

Dear Arthur,
My comment re the cricket match was recalling my first read of the poem and
my
comments then -not the present version.
     I'm trying to catch up on a backlog of list mail (owing to computer
problems) so my responses are erratic at present, I'm afraid,
Now, I may have misunderstood you here, but you seem to be suggesting that
when I give advice, I should follow it myself. Surely you can't mean that?
LOL.
To be more serious, perhaps what I feel about the title that perhaps it
means more to you, and adds a resonance to the poem that it will not carry
for other readers. The poem worked for me but the guilt you mentioned didn't
come through. If this is an essential part of what you wish this poem to
convey, I feel a little more has to be put into the poem, otherwise you are
expecting the reference of the poem to do too much work.
    You can accuse Megaera and Tarocchi of having obscure titles, but I
think they are both poems that rely on a textual complexity, whereas I think
the strength of this poem is its very simplicity, with which any reader can
connect. For me, it's almost as if the reference to Joyce distances it. I
realise it's a very resonant allusion for you personally, but I'm not
convinced it will be for everyone, and perhaps puzzling over the title will
be a distraction, rather than adding to the poem. Just my reaction..
Kind regards,
   grasshopper