Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Sub: Rivock

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:05:53 +0000

text/plain

Hi Arthur,
I guess sometimes with a poem, as it gets written and revised, a form is
imposed or a form emerges. Free-form poems sort of create their own shapes
whereas other poems fit into patterns and shapes that are already known. I
get the impression that this is a poem that’s shaping itself – and I can see
a progression of thoughts/feelings/perceptions that are following each other
through to the end. But there seems to be an as yet unresolved tussle
between two (loose) forms.
One is a kind of Gerald Manley Hopkins sprung rhythm line and the other is
an Anglo-Saxon line of two connecting but separate alliterative parts that
echo each other. The blend of classical music and jazz, I guess, depends of
the composer’s craft, the performers skill, and the listener’s ear. I’m
sometimes finding, with this poem, that my eyes, my mouth, and my ears get
confused. Some phrases seem to windhover, other bits seem to work with a
double-whammy.
I’ll show my bias a little and say I think the two part line parts of this
poem work more easily than the short lines or the longer phrasings (the
short lines seem to make me want to rush into the next line...). The
Anglo-Saxon poets had a useful template to work with – dramatic passages and
reflective asides could both be used as their poems progressed – and
sometimes phrases that were saying almost the same things could sit easily
alongside each other. I’m wondering, therefore, if it might be interesting
to play a little so each line becomes a line of two (almost equal) halves…
I guess such reformatting might mean a phrase or two becomes redundant – or
it might throw up a blank half-line where another phrase is needed – but I
feel it might help draw out of the piece a shape or pattern that’s almost
there. (& when I'm talking about a half-line I'm not just thinking of where
the commas are, I'm thinking of where the pauses are - they needn't be in
the same places...)
Other people have highlighted phrases that may be over effulgent, and you
yourself have said there's bits that you're reconsidering, so I'm just
suggesting an over-all pattern the poem might use.
Bob

On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone http://www.msn.co.uk/mobile