Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Life and Death in the North - Bob

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:47:32 +0000

text/plain

Hi Mike,
Adjectives etc (your first point). I meant endless, unforgiving, happy...
and I've a feeling I may not be the only person who may think, "H'm, I've
heard that adjective-noun combination before..."). The rest of the poem is
fresh so why not keep it fresh all the way through?

And... Tightening up the title/what's not right with the title/what's wrong
with the title?
Well, I was thinking that the poem doesn't mention Finland, it only mentions
Medusa (who has no links to Finland - she'd probably freeze if she got half
way to "the north" - ande her snakes'd drop off!). I find it's Finnishness
appealing but I don't think I would have found it without your additional
comment about the country.
I'd push what I'm saying out onto the ice like this: I sense a poem gains by
having a specific "sense of place" (and, even tho I'm a Northerner, I'm not
as North as the poem is. North, like all Ultima Thules is always elsewhere.
This poem isn't elsewhere, it's somewhere! Where? Finland (where in Finland?
In a Forest. Which Forest? etc... etc.) etc.
I could ask myself, however, what about Robert Frost's Walking In Woods On A
Snowy Evening (or some title like that!) - does he have a sense of place?
And I'd want to reply "Yes... because, by the time the poem appeared it was
known where he lived."
Bob