THE-WORKS  2003

THE-WORKS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: Colonisation - Grasshopper and others

grasshopper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:47:28 +0100

text/plain

Dear Mike,
               Re Colonisation, I think there is a bit of a conflict between
the idea of a Motherland and the idea of rape/exploitation that perhaps you
need to resolve in a re-write. For me, the idea of the Motherland involves a
deep respect, - it's the country that has borne you and nutured you, for
which you are perhaps prepared to die. So you'd colonise for the Motherland,
rather than colonising the Motherland, I think.
I'm not sure if that dichotomy was intended in the poem to emphasize the
rather macho thickness of the narrator.
Re writing a poem to 'say' something, I don't think I've ever started to
write a poem with the idea that I have some profound statement or
enlightment to impart to a reader. Certainly I feel I want to communicate
something, but it is not some 'superior' knowledge. I think or feel
something, and I write about it. Sometimes I think we have a clear idea of
how we want the poem to go, but isn't it true that often we're not sure what
a poem's going to 'say' till we've finished it? Sometimes, for instance, I
feel the narrator of a poem takes over and steers the piece in a way I'd not
intended - but that feels 'right'. I also feel that some poems are more
about how wonderful language is that anything else, and that seems to me an
entirely valid thing for a poem to 'say'.
  I feel today that people who are clued in to poetry like a certain amount
of ambiguity. They don't like a message rammed down their throats, but
something more subtle. I think that goes with a feeling I've mentioned
before, that today we regard the poet as Everyman, rather than a teacher or
a sage or a prophet on a pedestal. I wonder if it connects with the public's
mistrust of experts and pundits these days -once you had only to dress
someone in a white coat and most people would believe anything he (it was
usually a he) said.
Kind regards,
     grasshopper