Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: Colonisation - Colin

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:14:13 +0300

text/plain

Hello Colin,
            Thanks for your reading and comments. I take many of the points you make about the colonisation of various parts of the world and the present sorry situation in Iraq. I should say that this poem is not directly concerned with Iraq at all. It was written some time before that situation developed and is not meant as a comment on it. Neither is it intended as an anti-American poem. Iīm not anti-American and I donīt believe the poem is either, although I was alive to the danger of it being read that way. As the title suggests, it is about colonisation as an activity. I set the `eventsī such as they are in America because I wanted a location. Those events do not have any historical validity, quite the opposite, although I take your point that at the period when white Europeans were engaged in colonising North America, the American nation did not exist. Itīs also very plain that the English race ( I am English myself) has been engaged in colonising large areas of the globe over centuries. I think it would be a massive own goal for me to criticise another nation for its historical imperialism.
Your point about cutting out national references is interesting, but I wonder how it would work. All colonisation must be colonisation of a place. I feel that giving it a location is necessary. The selection of America is, as you remarked, historically distanced and in that sense does avoid reference to contemporary nations.
Well, these are charged times and itīs perhaps inevitable that people read this poem in the light of whatīs happening in Iraq. Indeed, `in the light of...` is a good way to read it I think. But what I was trying to do was to make a generalised comment on the imperialist attitude - in fact what you describe in your phrase `something essential about the colonisation processī. That is what I was after. I guess Iīve fallen flat on my face then. Oh well.

Best wishes,   Mike