Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Show or tell

Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:08:10 +0100

text/plain

Mike,

There is more that I could throw in at this point. However I will hold
myself back. I should really devote more time to commenting on some of the
interesting-looking poems that have come flooding in recently. I've printed
out your comments and will look out for E.S. Have you ever read the poems of
Kathleen Raine? Here's an extract :

Everywhere the substance of earth is the gate that we cannot pass.
Seek in Hebridean isles lost paradise.
There is yet the heaviness of water, the heaviness of stone
And the heaviness of the body I bring to this inviolate place.
Foot sinks in bog as I gather white water-lilies in the tarn,
The knee is bruised on rock, and the wind is always blowing.
The locked gates of the world are the world's elements,
For the rocks of the beautiful hills hurt, and the silver seas drown.
Wind score deep record of time on the weathered boulders,
The bird's hot heart consumes the soaring life to feather and bone,
And heather and asphodel crumble to peat that smoulders on crofters' fires.

I don't sign up to the ideas behind this poem or expect you to (though I do
find them life-enhancing). It is just an example of the poetry of ideas. You
would not say that it's purpose was to describe the Hebs for those that
haven't been. (Which is not say that if poet X,Y,Z wrote a poem that was
that it should be held against them or not be admired as a fine thing in
it's own right.) A day or two later you might be looking at a painting by
Poussin in a gallery in Liverpool and line 1 comes back to you and a day or
two after that you might be talking to a mother who has lost her daughter in
an accident and line 8 comes back. It is is such times that the
significance of the poem becomes manifest (in the process, making it easier
to stay
 with the extremities of primary experience).

Incidentally, the distinction between the poetry of ideas and the poetry of
descriptions
 is more arbitrary and tenuous than we have made it sound. In recent weeks,
I have read a fair number of poems on the list that are satisfying in both
respects.

Colin