Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Show and tell - Shah

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:33:28 +0200

text/plain

Hello Shah,
           Welcome to the debate. It was very interesting to read your views. Some of your points I can agree with, others not. Thatīs just the way it should be, of course, so letīs begin. Iīve taken some parts of your message and then added my comment after each one.

Shah wrote:
 I feel the job of discovering poetry and offering criticism belong
to two different categories. They are different; and it requires two
separate artists to accomplish the jobs with finesse and dignity. One is
a poet, the other a critic.

Mikeīs comment
First of all, what level of the activity are we talking about here? On this list most active members both write poetry and critique othersī work and I think that is acceptable, and very helpful to the individuals engaged in it.
If you mean at a professional level, I am still sceptical. Itīs true that not every professional critic is a great poet, and vice versa, but many poets have written `greatī criticism - Coleridge, Dr. Johnson, Shelley, DH Lawrence. And professional critics have also published poetry - very many of todayīs big names are actually academics - Douglas Dunn, Charles Tomlinson, Craig Raine, Tom Paulin.

Shah wrote:
 In fact all the three phases or stages have had produced most
wonderful artists and poets, and a few geniuses of high order.

Mikeīs comment:
Yes , I agree. Although the evaluations of one age may differ from those of another.

Shah wrote:
Then why the change is desired, and insisted upon?

Mikeīs comment:
Because people - artists and audiences - get bored. Just how many `Mozartī symphonies do we really want? If composers, no matter how brilliant they were, had continued to compose in the style of Mozart and were still doing so, it would not be very interesting.

Shah wrote:
 Why does one
rebellious critic finds faults with prevalent literature, and how does
he foresee a paradigm shift in the exposition of art and creativity?

Mikeīs comment:
Iīm not sure that itīs the critics who bring about change. The artists do that. Critics only record and analyse the process afterwards.

Shah wrote:
But now the poet finds new meaning therein, a meaning that
elevates humankind, both at individual and societal level, to new
heights of understanding and glory. The search to find new paradigms
will continue, till one reaches the highest truth, which for an artist
may be ever elusive Beauty.

Mikeīs comment:
This sounds as if you are arguing for continual progress, i.e. that the cultural products and literary theories of one age are superior to earlier ages. And also, perhaps, in terms of content or Truth. I cannot accept a value judgement like this. There is no way to justify the judgement that this cultural product is better than that or that this theory of poetry, painting, Truth or whatever is more valid than another. That was partly the point I was making when I said that the rule of `show, donīt tellī will surely cease to be of such over-riding importance at some time. It may not be in our lifetimes. But it will happen, if for no other reason than that people will get bored with it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Shah. If you want to come back at me on any of these points, fire away.

Best wishes,   Mike