Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub/easier

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:45:05 +0200

text/plain

Hello again Colin,
                  Thanks for the elucidation. It seems that in my reading I had got close to your intention although your slant is a little different, I mean you are comparing earlier ways of being or an `essential self´ (if it exists, as you quite properly ask. We won´t go into that one) with those learned in other circumstances. I was thinking more along the lines that any and every way of being is itself just a reflection of the surrounding circumstances. (So in fact I have said what I think about an `essential self´). However, approaching the poem from the angle you suggest, I wonder whether changing the word `heroic´ in line 4 to a word like `accepted´ or even `appropriate´, if it doesn´t have too many syllabubbles, might work towards that interpretation.

Best wishes,   Mike