Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: Self-Portrait ( addition)

arthur seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:12:29 -0000

text/plain

I have been thinking about this'self-portrait' apparent contradiction and
then suddenly remembered Flaubert's comments about Emma, "Madame Bovary.
c'est moi" and then I begin to understand your thesis . You are suggesting
that in painting the woman Gaugin is finding in her something inside
himself. Certainly he left the metropolitan life of Paris for a tropical
paradise and that place inspired much of his work. But really it is the life
enhancing experience of a paradise ,a culture free from the unpleasant
values of 'civilisation' that he sought and found.
Sorry to have been so blunt in my reasoning, but for your poem to make its
point doesn't it require a knowledge of the painting and the Flaubert
remark. Is that asking too much of a general audience??Regards Arthur