THE-WORKS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub/cichlids/Christina

"Dewar Colin [FVPC]" <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:04:00 -0000

text/plain

Christina,

Re sand, the bottom of the aquarium would be sand in some cases, but
whatever substrate it is always the solid material under fin or foot that
defines where the "border" is drawn. Then there is the cliche metaphor that
has arisen from it. However I thought it interesting that so many recent
campaigns from Morocco to Afghanistan have been or are about to be fought in
arid areas. It's always desert this or desert that. Is that invalidated by
the watery assumptions? I don't know. In some ways water is like sand.

Re  shift from tank to room to telly I wanted to go for a second symbolic
zone, interlocked with the first, that we all live in boxes, (glass boxes)
literally and metaphorically. The poem too is a box.

Thanks for the comments which I find thought-provoking. They are not lost.
You are right that a naivete must be maintained in this poem. Otherwise a
simple biological answer to the question in the fifth line would spoil the
poem. But you could say that the naivete and inclusion of the protagonist in
the poem's criticism is to address counter-dominance instincts in the
reader.

I like your comment alongside the fifth line. It makes me think of the
sliver of carrot and goldfish trick on Candid Camera some years back. These
fish are rather small and would get lost among the chips. My mother in law
thinks I should grow them up for the table.

Colin