SPAN  2003

SPAN 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

POPULAR MUSIC BOOK LIST AS OF DECEMBER 2003 BOOK AVAILABLE FOR REVIEWING

Jan Fairley <[log in to unmask]>

Scottish Pop Academic Network <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:05:11 -0000

Hello there SPAN people

THANKS a million to all those who have reviewed books  for Popular Music in
recent months  - the turn  over is improving which is exciting - I'd like
top see every book reviewed good or bad so that authors like you and me  who
spend years writing feel at least they are appreciated even if they may not
get an easy ride -  I am pleased that we are on our way  to getting books
reviewed and into the journal before several years have passed- a true
achievement - we are now averaging 6-7 per issue and I would love to get it
to ten -

SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ANY OF THESE! FIRST COME FIRST SERVED

I would like to increase our scope - more ethno and muso etc - the more the
merrier as there is much more comparative work going on these days _ I would
also  like to get in more 'area studies' books - any suggestions please let
me know - also if you know someone who would be GOOD for any of the books
here - i.e. they are working in that field - PLEASE pass this onto them and
let me know too

REMEMBER if there is a book out there you see available that is not on the
list - then check with me if it is not in the pipeline and - with prior
agreement - then chase the publisher for a copy and review it

 - it seems many who have  relatively high-powered  university jobs have
barely any time  to do the reviews they want to - so I am extremely happy
that all those who have offered have managed to do (I've even got a few done
myself)... and will continue to nag those who have books but have not done
them yet.....

NOT ALL BOOKS in the pipeline show up here for the simple fact I have not
typed them all  in -

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOGMANAY TO EVERYONE

Here's to 2004

Jan

tel 0131 447 8515

NEW BOOKS IN

CURRENCY COMPANION TO MUSIC  AND DANCE IN AUSTRALIA
Ed. John Whiteoak and Aline-Scott-Maxwell
Currency House. Sydney

POP MUSIC THE TEXT BOOK
Julia Winterson, Peter Nickol,  Toby Bricheno
Edition Peters

BLUE CHICAGO
The Search for Authenticity in Urban Blues Clubs
David Grazian
Chicago

RACE MUSIC: Black Cultures from Bebop to Hip-Hop
Guthrie P Ramsey Jr
California Centre for Black Music Research

BOB MARLEY MY SON
Cedella Marley Brooker with Anthony C Winkler
Taylor Trade Publishing

SCOTLAND AND THE MUSIC HALL 1850-1914
Paul Maloney
Studies in Popular Culture
Manchester

THE SONGWRITING SECRETS OF THE BEATLES
Dominic Pedler
Omnibus Press

SONDHEIM ON MUSIC: Minor Details and Major Decisions
Mark Eden Horowitz
Scarecrow Press

RUDOLF SERKIN A LIFE
Stephen Lehmann and Marion Faber
Oxford

ACROSS THE DIAMOND: Baseball and American Culture
Ed. Edward J Rielly
THIS HAS A SECTION ON THE ARTS BUT NOTHING ON mUSIC and is OFFERED  to  ANY
BASEBALL FAN

NEW IN BUT ALREADY ALLOCATED

THE BRITISH FOLK REVIVAL  1944-2002
Michael Brocken
Ashgate
ALLOCATED

MUSIC AND GENDER Perspectives From The Mediterranean
Ed Tullia Magrini
Chicago
Allocated Jan Fairley

POLICING POP
Ed Martin  Cloonan and Reebee Garofolo
Temple
Allocated

SOUND OF AFRICA: Making Music Zulu in a South African Studio
Louise Meintjes
Duke
Allocated

BOOKS OUT FOR REVIEW:

POPULAR MUSIC IN FRANCE: from Chanson to Techno
Culture Identity and Society
Ed Hugh Dauncey and Steve Cameron
Ashgate  2003
Sent to Antoine Hennion 1203

POP MUSIC – technology and Creativity
Trevor Horn and the Digital Revolution
Timothy Warner
Ashgate  2003
Sent to Antoine Hennion’s student 1203

The Cambridge Companion to the Guitar
Ed V A Coelho
CUP  2003
GIVEN TO ??? IN GLAGSOW IN SEPTEMBER????

The Cambridge Companion to Pop and Rock
ED   Frith and Street
CUP 2001
AGREED WITH ???  GLASGOW IN SEPTEMBER????

THE CULTURAL STUDY OF MUSIC
A critical introduction
Ed M Clayton, T Herbert,  R Middleton
Routledge 2003

YONDER COME THE BLUES
Paul Oliver, Tony Russell,  Robert MW Dixon, John Godrich, Howard Rye
CUP 2001
Allocated? David Horn?

ANALYSING POPULAR MUSIC
Ed Allan F Moore
CUP
Allocated

THE CITY OF MUSICAL MEMORY
Lise WAxer
Weskleyan
Allocated to Jan Fairley

BOOKS  PENDING REVIEWERS

The Cambridge Companion to Jazz
Ed Cooke and Horn
CUP 2002

The Cambridge Companion to Blues and Gospel Music
Ed Allan Moore
CUP  2002

The Cambridge Companion to the Musical
Ed Everett and Laird
CUP 2002

The Rise of the Jazz Art World
Paul Lopes
CUP 2002

AND STILL WAITING REVIEWERS

GOTH, IDENTITY,  STYLE AND SUBCULTURE
Paul Hodkinson
Berg, Oxford etc
SOMEONE AT GLASGOW SPAN MEETING SEPTEMBER OFFERED TO DO THIS AS HAD COPY –
CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHO YOU ARE?!

THE BEATLES  AS MUSICIANS:  The Quarry Men through Rubber Soul
Walter Everett
OUP
This could go with new Beatles book?

MUSIC FOR THE PEOPLE:  POPULAR MSUIC AND DANCE IN INTERWAR BRITAIN
James J Nott
OUP 2002

---