Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Vallejo's "Book of Nature"

Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:49:11 -0700

text/plain

OK, I finally got to read this post this morning, and finally haved a
moment for very brief comments.;

1. The translation is a much better poem than the Eshelman, and my very few
comments shouldn't mask my sense of how wonderful it is.

2. But poets usually expect their audiences to read the mundane meaning of
a word or phrase and come to the other possibilities over further
readings--one of the pleasures of poetry. The commonplace lexical meaning
is always in play.

3.  Eshelman sacrifices the inner meanings to the commonplace. Rebecca
[Rebecca, pardon the third person--it's hard to know how to manage address
in a web forum] sacrifices the commonplace. So, the Spanish deck,
unfamiliar to estadounidenses, has an exotic sound, altho in Spanish it's
at most mildly archaic, mildly Spanish as opposed to latin american, but
certainly familiar. And that exoticism makes the similarities to the tarot
deck more apparent, with all the baggage that brings along. It's obviously,
nonetheless, the right choice here, I think.

4. But that exemplifies a theoretical issue: the proposition that  "a
minimal obligation of  the translator is to be aware of the connotative
weight of his or her own language and to introduce no foreign elements into
the poem" is simply impossible to fulfill. One makes choices of what
foreign elements to allow.

5. Rumoreante and rumoroso are both commonplace words. Rumoreante means
something like buzzing--at any rate, making a low-level constant sound.
Palo rumoroso is perfecly conventional Spanish, rumoring stick is tortured
English. And rumor in English has been limited for a long time to the
spreading of news or gossip. It may be that this is one place where to
maintain something like the tone of the Spanish what needs to get lost is
the repetition.

6. Palo de azogue. I don't think that palo here is a stick. Palo also means
a pole or a log, even the trunk of a tree isn't pushing it too far. It also
often means tree, especially in the Americas, and it means wood as well.
Azogar means to cover with mercury so as to make a mirror. The image is of
polished wood. Are we dealing with a dead tree burnished to silver, or of
the effect of light at a particular moment? Quick silver as a somewhat
archaic synonym for mercury  (how many fans knew that Quicksilver Messenger
Service referred to the god Mercury?) that highlights its liquid state--it
moves as if quick, alive. Azogue says none of that. Silvery trunk? Not
good, but an alternative.  Shiny timber? "...I said to a tree,/ shiny
timber, murmurous linden/  beside the Marne, attentive student/ reading..."

7.  Hoja, from which hojarasca, means both tree leaf and leaf of a book.
Although leaf=page is less insistent in English than it is in Spanish  I'd
go with dead leaves. And it has the advantage of allowing the primary
meaning to remain primary.

I know that all of these comments are disputable. For what they're worth.
A superb job, nonetheless.

Mark