POETRYETC  2003

POETRYETC 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: British commanders, etc.--reply to Liz

William Fox <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:41:52 +1100

text/plain

indeed, Branagh's version is lavish, and memorable. a few years ago, while
at high school, our English class was sent to the cinema to see it - though
a few teachers were extremely cynical about just how good it was going to
be, i think they all agreed afterwards that it's a very effective film for
first-time students of Hamlet. the sets and the emphasis placed on certain
scenes really gave a teenage reader (such as myself) a sense of the
dimensions and scale of the play.

though, it has to be said, Jack Lemmon is pretty terrible.

as for the CA Duffy issue, i find both David's and Alison's responses very
interesting. i don't feel qualified to enter the debate whole-heartedly, but
upon first reading 'Warming Her Pearls' what struck me was its awkward
appearance on the page. i'm not sure the poem wants to be in neat four-line
stanzas of rougly equal length. some of the line endings are rough and
unexplainable (if one is wont to 'explain' line endings):

>Full moon. Her carriage brings her home. I see
>her every movement in my head...Undressing,
>taking off her jewels, her slim hand reaching
>for the case, slipping naked into bed, the way
>
>she always does...

why does that line up there end with 'I see'? why does this stanza end with
'the way'? a lot of these line-endings seem arbitrary.

a personal anecdote might help here: one day at uni i scheduled an
'appointment' with John Mateer, one of the creative writing tutors. the
half-hour i spent with him was more enlightening than any of the hour-long
creative writing lectures i attended. he ripped into the one poem i showed
him, questioning the fundamentals, demanding to know WHY one line ended
where it did. looking back now i can see the poem was pretty woeful - the
best thing was i went away from the meeting and my writing improved
immensely (i think).

people might disagree with the way he instructed me, but it helped, and in
turn made me wary of poems like 'Warming Her Pearls', in which the poet
seems to hope that subjects like 'silk or taffeta' distract the reader from
considerations of form. i've never read Duffy before, but this poem is
uninspiring and dull, despite the jewels and 'indolent sighs'.

feel free to pull me up on these criticisms - as i say, i'm much less
qualified than most on this list. like Chris Jones i'm always curious as to
how we come to see poems as 'GREAT' or canonical, or how we can judge poems
at all.

cheers

Will