Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: resignations

Rebecca Seiferle <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Apr 2003 01:03:22 -0600

text/plain

Dave,

I don't know you or your contexts or intent, but I have found your arguments and poems to be sexist, in my opinion, just reading them as they are. And often your reply to that comment is that you "don't mean" it, you define your intent or what you meant to say, as opposed to what you did say. There is often a deep refusal in your posts to _hear_ what the other is actually saying. Perhaps you have dozens of women friends and perhaps no woman has ever found you to be sexist or the qualities that go along with it, patronizing, condescending, dismissing what the other has to say, harrassing, etc., and if so, great, but I am not evaluating you as a person. I'm just commenting upon your posts. Even in this post, I find some elemental of sexism in your defense of yourself. For instance, when you describe this workshop

there's a 20 year who has just
started coming, she was an orphan and was abused by her foster-father, she
hasn't much in the way of formal education but her raw intelligence is
striking, she is literally growing mentally by the week, and it is I who
have given her the confidence to speak out before others. Such things
bring
a joy to my heart.>>

This is a twenty year old woman, and yet you describe her as if she were a child that under your tutelage is being given the confidence to speak and the ability to grow intellectually, "and it is I who have given her the confidence to speak out before others." I find that sexist! and I say that in the context of just returning from conducting a workshop with a dozen women.

Best,

Rebecca

Rebecca Seiferle
www.thedrunkenboat.com