Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: John Pilger on Afghanistan and Iraq

Rebecca Seiferle <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:37:29 -0600

text/plain

Thanks, Alison, for the interview with Fisk which is most
interesting and often inarguable in its assessment of various
situations and in its sense of "this cozy, incestuous, dangerous relationship
between press and administration, between sources and access which
causes many of these problems." On the other hand, I sometimes
think he overreaches in his reading of the situation here, for
instance when he says "So what you have I think is a general
consensus in America, which I hope is breaking up, that to
challenge American foreign policy is in some way, not just
insensitive, but unpatriotic." I don't really think there is
a general consensus, but rather a great number of people who have
challenged and continue to challenge American foreign policy
in any number of ways, in a variety of modes, but with little
result in the sense of changing the administration's policy.
Part of what the media does here in "its gutlessness" is present
a sort of consenual face, by deciding upon coverage, omitting
various things, choosing the same old talking heads on the
various talk shows, and, which began before Sept. 11th or
Afghanistan and Iraq, of which an example was the coverage
of Bush in his car, surrounded by  a phalanx of motorcycle
police, secret service agents, black limousines, in the triangular
form of an arrow pointed at the capitol proceeding to his
inaugeration while there was absolutely no coverage of the
several hundred thousands protestors at his dubious election
who were kept several streets back by police barricades and
away from the television cameras. In other words, the erasure
works both ways, by presenting only the administration's view
to the public, and by presenting a consenual face of the public.

Or when Fisk says " Especially foreign policy
in the Middle East which is still a taboo subject. You know in
America you can talk about Lesbians, Gays, and Blacks but not about
the relationship with Israel and the US Administration or
Congress," this seems to me to be somewhat nonsensical. Foreign
policy in the Middle East is not a taboo subject, it's on the air
all the time, but often with many other points of view obviated in
favor of views favorable to the administration, particularly
on television. However, there are other media, besides the internet,
where one can hear some of those non-consensual views, which
is why there is a movement in some parts of the government to
cut off funding for National Public Radio. And I don't know
what to think of his statement that "in America you can talk
about Lesbians, Gays, and Blacks but not about
the relationship with Israel and the US Administration. Well,
I assume he means in these various media outlets, where,
no, actually, you can't, except in very narrow terms, in other
words, some gay activist might be invited to talk about an
identified gay issue, just as a black activist might be
invited to talk about a particularly "black" issue, as opposed
to an issue that might be considered to be of importance to
any person, and that in and of itself creates a sort of
ghetto of conversation, isolating the gay or black person
from the realm of human concern, and also drawing attention
to the peculiarities of his or her more narrow concerns. For
instance, on some programs, it often seems to me that gay
or black activists, the more 'colorful' the better, are
invited on in order to implicitly ridicule their position and
to illustrate to that consensual face viewing the 'sorts' of
people who advocate that position. The idea, though,
that conversation about Gays, Lesbians and Blacks is somehow
free of taboo and restriction seems to me untenable. The same
constrictions apply to both those conversations and talking about
Israel, by what's covered and who's invited to allow the
expression of what implicitly or directly
supports the "consensual" view. Also, he says nothing about
Mexicans, which will soon be the largest minority in America,
and their utter absence from conversation, or any of the other
minorities here, but rather mentions those that are most
problematic to the American public. And I have to say that
there was at least a hint of prejudice in his remarks, the
implication of--well, they can talk about Gays, Lesbians
and Blacks, but not about Israel--as if to point up
the lack of the second by exagerrating the (implied unnecessary)
presence of the first. And I have to say, too, that this makes
me wonder about the emphasis on subjectivity in his interview,
for while subjectivity, the thinking and experience of the reporter,
might be part of the necessary truth of the report, I have
always thought that one of the strengths of good reporting
was the challenge of objectivity, of having the sense of
the truth of actuality as outside of oneself, even if
it may be in any absolute sense unobtainable. And I'm not
suggesting anything like lying occurs by virtue of
the emphasis on subjectivity, in Pilger or the better
reporting of Fisk, but only that to shift the desired
quality from objectivity to subjectivity, as the focus
of intent, encourages a sort of scattergun effect, which
you and Dominic note in Pilger's report, but which
I also see, in a more subtle version in this paragraph of
Fisk. I don't know, though, if I want to know so much
what the reporter thinks or feels, I mostly want to know
what has happened or is and I am more inclined to trust
a clearer eye/I glass.

Best,

Rebecca

Rebecca Seiferle