[CSL]: Jean Baudrillard: The Violence of the Global

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 May 2003 09:01:42 +0100

text/plain

From: CTheory Editors [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 May 2003 18:22
To: ctheory
Subject: Article 129 - The Violence of the Global

 CTHEORY          THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE       VOL 26, NOS 1-2
        *** Visit CTHEORY Online: http://www.ctheory.net ***

 Article 129     03/05/20     Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

 The Violence of the Global [1]

 ~Jean Baudrillard~

 (Translated by Francois Debrix)

 Today's terrorism is not the product of a traditional history of
 anarchism, nihilism, or fanaticism. It is instead the contemporary
 partner of globalization. To identify its main features, it is
 necessary to perform a brief genealogy of globalization, particularly
 of its relationship to the singular and the universal.

 The analogy between the terms "global"[2] and "universal" is
 misleading. Universalization has to do with human rights, liberty,
 culture, and democracy. By contrast, globalization is about
 technology, the market, tourism, and information. Globalization
 appears to be irreversible whereas universalization is likely to be
 on its way out. At least, it appears to be retreating as a value
 system which developed in the context of Western modernity and was
 unmatched by any other culture. Any culture that becomes universal
 loses its singularity and dies. That's what happened to all those
 cultures we destroyed by forcefully assimilating them. But it is also
 true of our own culture, despite its claim of being universally
 valid. The only difference is that other cultures died because of
 their singularity, which is a beautiful death. We are dying because
 we are losing our own singularity and exterminating all our values.
 And this is a much more ugly death.

 We believe that the ideal purpose of any value is to become
 universal. But we do not really assess the deadly danger that such a
 quest presents. Far from being an uplifting move, it is instead a
 downward trend toward a zero degree in all values. In the
 Enlightenment, universalization was viewed as unlimited growth and
 forward progress. Today, by contrast, universalization exists by
 default and is expressed as a forward escape, which aims to reach the
 most minimally common value. This is precisely the fate of human
 rights, democracy, and liberty today. Their expansion is in reality
 their weakest expression.

 Universalization is vanishing because of globalization. The
 globalization of exchanges puts an end to the universalization of
 values. This marks the triumph of a uniform thought [3] over a
 universal one. What is globalized is first and foremost the market,
 the profusion of exchanges and of all sorts of products, the
 perpetual flow of money. Culturally, globalization gives way to a
 promiscuity of signs and values, to a form of pornography in fact.
 Indeed, the global spread of everything and nothing through networks
 is pornographic. No need for sexual obscenity anymore. All you have
 is a global interactive copulation. And, as a result of all this,
 there is no longer any difference between the global and the
 universal. The universal has become globalized, and human rights
 circulate exactly like any other global product (oil or capital for
 example).

 The passage from the universal to the global has given rise to a
 constant homogenization, but also to an endless fragmentation.
 Dislocation, not localization, has replaced centralization.
 Excentricism, not decentralization, has taken over where
 concentration once stood. Similarly, discrimination and exclusion are
 not just accidental consequences of globalization, but rather
 globalization's own logical outcomes. In fact, the presence of
 globalization makes us wonder whether universalization has not
 already been destroyed by its own critical mass. It also makes us
 wonder whether universality and modernity ever existed outside of
 some official discourses or some popular moral sentiments. For us
 today, the mirror of our modern universalization has been broken. But
 this may actually be an opportunity. In the fragments of this broken
 mirror, all sorts of singularities reappear. Those singularities we
 thought were endangered are surviving, and those we thought were lost
 are revived.

 As universal values lose their authority and legitimacy, things
 become more radical. When universal beliefs were introduced as the
 only possible culturally mediating values, it was fairly easy for
 such beliefs to incorporate singularities as modes of differentiation
 in a universal culture that claimed to champion difference. But they
 cannot do it anymore because the triumphant spread of globalization
 has eradicated all forms of differentiation and all the universal
 values that used to advocate difference. In so doing, globalization
 has given rise to a perfectly indifferent culture. From the moment
 when the universal disappeared, an omnipotent global techno-structure
 has been left alone to dominate. But this techno-structure now has to
 confront new singularities that, without the presence of
 universalization to cradle them, are able to freely and savagely
 expand.

 History gave universalization its chance. Today though, faced with a
 global order without any alternative on the one hand and with
 drifting insurrectionary singularities on the other, the concepts of
 liberty, democracy, and human rights look awful. They remain as the
 ghosts of universalization past. Universalization used to promote a
 culture characterized by the concepts of transcendence, subjectivity,
 conceptualization, reality, and representation. By contrast, today's
 virtual global culture has replaced universal concepts with screens,
 networks, immanence, numbers, and a space-time continuum without any
 depth.[4] In the universal, there was still room for a natural
 reference to the world, the body, or the past. There was a sort of
 dialectical tension or critical movement that found its materiality
 in historical and revolutionary violence. But the expulsion of this
 critical negativity opened the door to another form of violence, the
 violence of the global. This new violence is characterized by the
 supremacy of technical efficiency and positivity, total organization,
 integral circulation, and the equivalence of all exchanges.
 Additionally, the violence of the global puts an end to the social
 role of the intellectual (an idea tied to the Enlightenment and
 universalization), but also to the role of the activist whose fate
 used to be tied to the ideas of critical opposition and historical
 violence.

 Is globalization fatal? Sometimes cultures other than ours were able
 to escape the fatality of the indifferent exchange. Today though,
 where is the critical point between the universal and the global?
 Have we reached the point of no return? What vertigo pushes the world
 to erase the Idea? And what is that other vertigo that, at the same
 time, seems to force people to unconditionally want to realize the
 Idea?

 The universal was an Idea. But when it became realized in the global,
 it disappeared as an Idea, it committed suicide, and it vanished as
 an end in itself. Since humanity is now its own immanence, after
 taking over the place left by a dead God, the human has become the
 only mode of reference and it is sovereign. But this humanity no
 longer has any finality. Free from its former enemies, humanity now
 has to create enemies from within, which in fact produces a wide
 variety of inhuman metastases.

 This is precisely where the violence of the global comes from. It is
 the product of a system that tracks down any form of negativity and
 singularity, including of course death as the ultimate form of
 singularity. It is the violence of a society where conflict is
 forbidden, where death is not allowed. It is a violence that, in a
 sense, puts an end to violence itself, and strives to establish a
 world where anything related to the natural must disappear (whether
 it is in the body, sex, birth, or death). Better than a global
 violence, we should call it a global virulence. This form of violence
 is indeed viral. It moves by contagion, proceeds by chain reaction,
 and little by little it destroys our immune systems and our
 capacities to resist.

 But the game is not over yet. Globalization has not completely won.
 Against such a dissolving and homogenizing power, heterogeneous
 forces -- not just different but clearly antagonistic ones -- are
 rising everywhere. Behind the increasingly strong reactions to
 globalization, and the social and political forms of resistance to
 the global, we find more than simply nostalgic expressions of
 negation. We find instead a crushing revisionism vis-a-vis
 modernity and progress, a rejection not only of the global
 techno-structure, but also of the mental system of globalization,
 which assumes a principle of equivalence between all cultures. This
 kind of reaction can take some violent, abnormal, and irrational
 aspects, at least they can be perceived as violent, abnormal, and
 irrational from the perspective of our traditional enlightened ways
 of thinking. This reaction can take collective ethnic, religious, and
 linguistic forms. But it can also take the form of individual
 emotional outbursts or neuroses even. In any case, it would be a
 mistake to berate those reactions as simply populist, archaic, or
 even terrorist. Everything that has the quality of event these days
 is engaged against the abstract universality of the global,[5] and
 this also includes Islam's own opposition to Western values (it is
 because Islam is the most forceful contestation of those values that
 it is today considered to be the West's number one enemy).

 Who can defeat the global system? Certainly not the
 anti-globalization movement whose sole objective is to slow down
 global deregulation. This movement's political impact may well be
 important. But its symbolic impact is worthless. This movement's
 opposition is nothing more than an internal matter that the dominant
 system can easily keep under control. Positive alternatives cannot
 defeat the dominant system, but singularities that are neither
 positive nor negative can. Singularities are not alternatives. They
 represent a different symbolic order. They do not abide by value
 judgments or political realities. They can be the best or the worst.
 They cannot be "regularized" by means of a collective historical
 action.[6] They defeat any uniquely dominant thought. Yet they do
 not present themselves as a unique counter-thought. Simply, they
 create their own game and impose their own rules. Not all
 singularities are violent. Some linguistic, artistic, corporeal, or
 cultural singularities are quite subtle. But others, like terrorism,
 can be violent. The singularity of terrorism avenges the
 singularities of those cultures that paid the price of the imposition
 of a unique global power with their own extinction.

 We are really not talking about a "clash of civilizations" here, but
 instead about an almost anthropological confrontation between an
 undifferentiated universal culture and everything else that, in
 whatever domain, retains a quality of irreducible alterity. From the
 perspective of global power (as fundamentalist in its beliefs as any
 religious orthodoxy), any mode of difference and singularity is
 heresy. Singular forces only have the choice of joining the global
 system (by will or by force) or perishing. The mission of the West
 (or rather the former West, since it lost its own values a long time
 ago) is to use all available means to subjugate every culture to the
 brutal principle of cultural equivalence. Once a culture has lost its
 values, it can only seek revenge by attacking those of others. Beyond
 their political or economic objectives, wars such as the one in
 Afghanistan [7] aim at normalizing savagery and aligning all the
 territories. The goal is to get rid of any reactive zone, and to
 colonize and domesticate any wild and resisting territory both
 geographically and mentally.

 The establishment of a global system is the result of an intense
 jealousy. It is the jealousy of an indifferent and low-definition
 culture against cultures with higher definition, of a disenchanted
 and de-intensified system against high intensity cultural
 environments, and of a de-sacralized society against sacrificial
 forms. According to this dominant system, any reactionary form is
 virtually terrorist. (According to this logic we could even say that
 natural catastrophes are forms of terrorism too. Major technological
 accidents, like Chernobyl, are both a terrorist act and a natural
 disaster. The toxic gas leak in Bhopal, India, another technological
 accident, could also have been a terrorist act. Any plane crash could
 be claimed by any terrorist group too. The dominant characteristic of
 irrational events is that they can be imputed to anybody or given any
 motivation. To some extent, anything we can think of can be criminal,
 even a cold front or an earthquake. This is not new. In the 1923
 Tokyo earthquake, thousands of Koreans were killed because they were
 thought to be responsible for the disaster. In an intensely
 integrated system like ours, everything can have a similar effect of
 destabilization. Everything drives toward the failure of a system
 that claims to be infallible. From our point of view, caught as we
 are inside the rational and programmatic controls of this system, we
 could even think that the worst catastrophe is actually the
 infallibility of the system itself.) Look at Afghanistan. The fact
 that, inside this country alone, all recognized forms of "democratic"
 freedoms and expressions -- from music and television to the ability
 to see a woman's face -- were forbidden, and the possibility that
 such a country could take the totally opposite path of what we call
 civilization (no matter what religious principles it invoked), were
 not acceptable for the "free" world. The universal dimension of
 modernity cannot be refused. From the perspective of the West, of its
 consensual model, and of its unique way of thinking, it is a crime
 not to perceive modernity as the obvious source of the Good or as the
 natural ideal of humankind. It is also a crime when the universality
 of our values and our practices are found suspect by some individuals
 who, when they reveal their doubts, are immediately pegged as
 fanatics.

 Only an analysis that emphasizes the logic of symbolic obligation can
 make sense of this confrontation between the global and the singular.
 To understand the hatred of the rest of the world against the West,
 perspectives must be reversed. The hatred of non-Western people is
 not based on the fact that the West stole everything from them and
 never gave anything back. Rather, it is based on the fact that they
 received everything, but were never allowed to give anything back.
 This hatred is not caused by dispossession or exploitation, but
 rather by humiliation. And this is precisely the kind of hatred that
 explains the September 11 terrorist attacks. These were acts of
 humiliation responding to another humiliation.

 The worst that can happen to global power is not to be attacked or
 destroyed, but to suffer a humiliation. Global power was humiliated
 on September 11 because the terrorists inflicted something the global
 system cannot give back. Military reprisals were only means of
 physical response. But, on September 11, global power was
 symbolically defeated. War is a response to an aggression, but not to
 a symbolic challenge. A symbolic challenge is accepted and removed
 when the other is humiliated in return (but this cannot work when the
 other is crushed by bombs or locked behind bars in Guantanamo). The
 fundamental rule of symbolic obligation stipulates that the basis of
 any form of domination is the total absence of any counterpart, of
 any return.[8] The unilateral gift is an act of power. And the
 Empire of the Good, the violence of the Good, is precisely to be able
 to give without any possible return. This is what it means to be in
 God's position. Or to be in the position of the Master who allows the
 slave to live in exchange for work (but work is not a symbolic
 counterpart, and the slave's only response is eventually to either
 rebel or die). God used to allow some space for sacrifice. In the
 traditional order, it was always possible to give back to God, or to
 nature, or to any superior entity by means of sacrifice. That's what
 ensured a symbolic equilibrium between beings and things. But today
 we no longer have anybody to give back to, to return the symbolic
 debt to. This is the curse of our culture. It is not that the gift is
 impossible, but rather that the counter-gift is. All sacrificial
 forms have been neutralized and removed (what's left instead is a
 parody of sacrifice, which is visible in all the contemporary
 instances of victimization).

 We are thus in the irremediable situation of having to receive,
 always to receive, no longer from God or nature, but by means of a
 technological mechanism of generalized exchange and common
 gratification. Everything is virtually given to us, and, like it or
 not, we have gained a right to everything. We are similar to the
 slave whose life has been spared but who nonetheless is bound by a
 non-repayable debt. This situation can last for a while because it is
 the very basis of exchange in this economic order. Still, there
 always comes a time when the fundamental rule resurfaces and a
 negative return inevitably responds to the positive transfer, when a
 violent abreaction to such a captive life, such a protected
 existence, and such a saturation of being takes place. This reversion
 can take the shape of an open act of violence (such as terrorism),
 but also of an impotent surrender (that is more characteristic of our
 modernity), of a self-hatred, and of remorse, in other words, of all
 those negative passions that are degraded forms of the impossible
 counter-gift.

 What we hate in ourselves -- the obscure object of our resentment --
 is our excess of reality, power, and comfort, our universal
 availability, our definite accomplishment, this kind of destiny that
 Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor had in store for the domesticated
 masses. And this is exactly the part of our culture that the
 terrorists find repulsive (which also explains the support they
 receive and the fascination they are able to exert). Terrorism's
 support is not only based on the despair of those who have been
 humiliated and offended. It is also based on the invisible despair of
 those whom globalization has privileged, on our own submission to an
 omnipotent  technology, to a crushing virtual reality, to an empire
 of networks and programs that are probably in the process of
 redrawing the regressive contours of the entire human species, of a
 humanity that has gone "global." (After all, isn't the supremacy of
 the human species over the rest of life on earth the mirror image of
 the domination of the West over the rest of the world?). This
 invisible despair, our invisible despair, is hopeless since it is the
 result of the realization of all our desires.

 Thus, if terrorism is derived from this excess of reality and from
 this reality's impossible exchange, if it is the product of a
 profusion without any possible counterpart or return, and if it
 emerges from a forced resolution of conflicts, the illusion of
 getting rid of it as if it were an objective evil is complete.[9]
 For, in its absurdity and non-sense, terrorism is our society's own
 judgment and penalty.

 Notes:
 ------

 [1] Initially published as "La Violence du Mondial," in Jean
 Baudrillard, _Power Inferno_ (Paris: Galilee, 2002), pp. 63-83.

 [2] "Mondial" is the French term for "global" in the original text.

 [3] "Pensee unique" in French.

 [4] "Espace-temps sans dimension" in French.

 [5] "Contre cette universalite abstraite" in French.

 [6] "On ne peut pas les federer dans une action historique
 d'ensemble" in French.

 [7] Baudrillard refers here to the US war against Afghanistan in the
 Fall of 2001 in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks.

 [8] "L'absence de contrepartie" in French.

 [9] Emphasis in original text.

 --------------------

 Jean Baudrillard is an internationally acclaimed theorist whose
 writings trace the rise and fall of symbollic exchange in the
 contemporary century. In addition to a wide range of highly
 influential books from _Seduction_ to _Symbollic Exchange and Death_,
 Baudrillard's most recent publications include: _The Vital Illusion_,
 _The Spirit of Terrorism_ and _The Singular Objects of Architecture_.
 He is a member of the editorial board of CTheory.

 Francois Debrix is Assistant Professor of International Relations at
 Florida International University in Miami, Florida.  He is the
 co-editor (with Cynthia Weber) of  _Rituals of Mediaton:
 International Politics and Social Meaning_. (University of Minnesota
 Press, forthcoming August 2003)

 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology and
 *   culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in
 *   contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *   theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Paul Virilio (Paris),
 *   Bruce Sterling (Austin), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried
 *   Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San
 *   Francisco), DJ Spooky [Paul D. Miller] (NYC), Timothy Murray
 *   (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San Francisco), Stephen
 *   Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), David Cook (Toronto), Ralph
 *   Melcher (Sante Fe), Shannon Bell (Toronto), Gad Horowitz
 *   (Toronto), Deena Weinstein (Chicago), Michael Weinstein
 *   (Chicago), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 *   Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Canada/Sweden).
 *
 * Editorial Associate: Ted Hiebert
 * WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders (CTHEORY.NET)
 * WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.net/

            To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                 http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
 *
 *
 * Special thanks to Concordia University.
 *
 * No commercial use of CTHEORY articles without permission.
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, Concordia University, 1455 de
 *   Maisonneuve, O., Montreal, Canada, H3G 1M8.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI, Ann Arbor,
 *   Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological Abstract
 *   Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political Science and
 *   Government; Canadian Periodical Index; Film and Literature Index.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html