CLASSICSGRADS  2003

CLASSICSGRADS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

September miscellany (1. colloquia, etc.)

Jonathan Prag <[log in to unmask]>

Jonathan Prag <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:17:50 +0100

text/plain

Term will shortly be upon us, so I imagine these will pick up again in
frequency (if I can find the time...).
The website (www.classicsinfo.org) has not been updated for a while, but I
hope to get back to that shortly.
A reminder that anyone can post to the list if they have something they
wish to share; and a second reminder, please do not post attachments.
Hope everyone had a good summer!

Fifth Keeling Colloquium: Philosophy and the Sciences
in Antiquity

University College London, Wednesday 5th-Friday 7th November 2003

Provisional timetable:

Wednesday 5th November 2003
10 a..m.: Professor André Laks (Université de Lille-Charles de Gaulle III)
How does the distinction between philosophy and sciences help us in
understanding the beginnings of Greek thought?
Respondent: Dr Anne Sheppard (Royal Holloway, University of London)

3 p.m: Professor Dominic O'Meara (University of Fribourg)
The Music of Philosophy in Late Antiquity
Respondent: Dr Anne Sheppard (Royal Holloway, University of London)

Thursday 6th November 2003
10 a.m: Professor Jim Hankinson (University of Texas at Austin)
Can One Science Employ the Axioms of Another? Aristotle on 'Kind-Crossing'
Respondent: Dr Lindsay Judson (Christ Church, Oxford)

3 p.m: Professor Jim Lennox (University of Pittsburgh)
The Place of Zoology in Aristotle's Natural Philosophy
Respondent: Dr Lindsay Judson (Christ Church, Oxford)

Friday 7th November 2003
10 a.m.: Professor Philip van der Eijk (University of Newcastle)
Between Hippocrates and the Alexandrians: Medicine, philosophy and science
in the fourth century BCE
Respondent: Dr Manuela Tecusan  (Wellcome Trust/UCL)

3 p.m.: Professor Sir Geoffrey Lloyd (University of Cambridge)
Mathematics as a model of method in Galen
Respondent: Professor Vivian Nutton (Wellcome Trust/UCL)

All meetings will take place in the Garden Room (formerly Eisai Lounge),
UCL, accessible from the South Junction in the Wilkins Building (the
original College building: the Garden Room is directly behind Jeremy
Bentham’s Auto-Icon). No advance notification is required from those
attending; participants (other than speakers and respondents) are asked to
make their own arrangements for meals and accommodation. For further
information please e-mail [log in to unmask], or write to Professor R.W.
Sharples, Department of Greek and Latin, University College London, Gower
Street, London WC1E 6BT.

FAREWELL-EVENT FOR PROF. DONALD E. HILL
to mark his retirement from the Classics section at the University of
Newcastle upon Tyne