BRITISH-IRISH-POETS  2003

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Millions of strange shadows (was Re: after a longish silence)

"david.bircumshaw" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:09:29 -0000

text/plain

Trevor

I think the point I was trying to make is not coming across: version one
portrays a world in which both A and RS are praised, version two is one in
which they are condemned. As I hoped, version three contains the reflection
that neither of its predecessors are accurate, because not just of the
inadequacies of self but those of language. Inadequacies of self are always
present in our words, for instance, as writing this I am conscious of a) M-
who lives five floors above me hasn't been seen by anyone since last
Tuesday - I bumped into A- in the foyer,  who also lives here, he expressed
concern, I agreed and said someone ought to call on M- to make sure he's
alright, A- didn't know M-'s address which I gladly supplied but afterwards
wondered why I hadn't called round on M- myself; b) just going over the road
to the local shop a gentleman approached me asking for a cigarette - I lied
and said I hadn't any NOT because of meanness but because I was too
preoccupied with shivering from the cold to stop for a moment and pull out a
fag from my pocket and went away feeling +ambivalently+ guilty.. That is
what is flustering, fleetingly, at the forefront of my consciousness as I
write. In an hour's time it will be something different. And that is my
point about the inadequacy of language. In the post you refer to NONE of the
versions coincides with reality, if, as I presume, you feel that version two
is the substance of an 'ad hominem' attack on A & RS please understand that
I wasn't presenting it as a truth, but rather as a fiction that could be
made up, just as the praise of version one was or the fudgery of version
three, which last is meant as an inconclusive gurgling of where something
akin to reality might be found. Which shambles of a philosophy is about
where I am: even a second's reflection tells me that the psychological
'where' I am speaking or writing from at any given moment is more complex
than any coincident utterance of mine and, by inference, the same must apply
to statements of others. I do not, nor cannot, truly know where you or
others are 'coming from' anymore than I can myself, perhaps such a condition
is one the reasons for the existence of the language-habit we call poetry,
in that it +possibly+ allows us 'by indirections to find directions out'.

To make one thing clear, if either or both Alison and Rebecca feel they were
subject to a personalised attack then apologies are here and ready, I would
try to assure though that when I say fiction I mean such, if version two had
been presented solely as a straight response it would certainly be liable to
questioning of motive, I cannot see how on examination in the context it is
placed it can be seen so. It might not have passed notice that I made a
point of praising A's poem when first lodged here, surely that gives a
reasonable indication that my concluding words, after PS, where exactly what
I meant?

Vendettas, I hate them, no desire for such here.

David Bircumshaw

Spectare's Web, A Chide's Alphabet
& Painting Without Numbers

http://www.chidesalphabet.org.uk