Re: evacuation chairs

"Gwynne, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>

Accessibuilt list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:56:21 -0000

text/plain

Thanks
I understood that it was not the fire services responsibility to evacuate.
This was confirmed on the briefing note on the DRC web site ( below), and it
refers to evacuating the building whether the fire brigade are available or
not. Hence the discussions on evac chairs
Fire Evacuation Briefing
During the fire fighters strike last year some disabled people were refused
entry to buildings because the building managers wrongly believed that the
fire service is responsible for the evacuation of disabled people. Building
managers should not be contemplating refusing entry to disabled people but
should have plans in place that ensure the safe evacuation of all building
users whether or not the fire service is available.
This briefing is intended to outline the current standards relating to the
evacuation of disabled people.
Current legislation and standards state that all people should be evacuated
if there is a fire. There is no document which states that disabled people
should be left in a building to wait for the fire service during a fire.
In fact, current legislative documents and standards state that it is the
responsibility of building management to ensure their safe escape by
introducing suitable escape plans.
The responsibility is clearly with the building management or service
providers to ensure there are suitable procedures in place to evacuate
everyone including disabled people without relying on the fire service.
Evacuation plans should already be in place and should be equally applicable
whether the fire service is operating normally or there is a fire fighters
strike.
Legislative frame work and standards
Building Regulations and Standards
Building Regulations Approved Document B (England & Wales)
This covers the construction of new buildings and material alterations to
buildings.
It states that it may not be necessary to make special structural provision
to facilitate the escape of disabled people and that management should
provide suitable escape plans
Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations
In Scotland the Building Regulations are mandatory rather than advisory as
they are in England and Wales therefore any new buildings (or new stairs in
any buildings) will have always have a refuge within the stair well.
Regulation 13 - Means of escape from fire, facilities for fire fighting and
means of warning of fire in dwellings Part E2.2
Suitable means of escape for disabled people in the event of fire must be
provided in every building or part of a building from any floor which is
accessible to disabled people.
British Standards (BS)
BS 5588 Fire Precautions in the design and construction of buildings

Part 8: Code of practice for means of escape for disabled people
The introduction for this document states that:
        "Management systems are an essential part of means of escape for
disabled people.
        "It is envisaged that those responsible for the management of
existing buildings would adopt the principals underlying this standard and
it's recommendations as part of their routine administrative procedures"
The scope of the document is to advise designers of buildings on elements
that can be incorporated into the building either from the start or during
alterations and those measures which will enable disabled people to be
assisted to safety in the event of a fire.
It also gives guidance on the procedures which need to be in place to aid
the safe evacuation of disabled people.
There is a common misunderstanding that the refuge mentioned within the
document is a place to leave disabled people to wait for the fire service to
effect for their escape. The document actually states:
        "3.14 Refuge
        [defined as] area that is enclosed with fire resisting construction
(other than any part which is an external wall of a building) and served
directly by a safe route to a storey exit, evacuation lift or final exit,
thus constituting a temporary safe space for disabled people to await
assistance for their evacuation"
There is a note with this clause which states:
        "Refuges are relatively safe waiting areas for short periods. They
are not areas where disabled people should be left indefinitely until
rescued by the fire brigade, or until the fire is extinguished. (This should
not be confused with the use of refuges in progressive horizontal
evacuation, eg in hospitals)"
Clauses 13 -16 of the BS gives advice to management as to how to provide
suitable assistance. It suggests the following steps be taken:
*       Evacuation procedures should be pre- planned.
*       Staff training and knowledge of the implementation are vital.
*       Agreed procedures should be confirmed in writing.
*       These should be practiced once or twice a year.
*       A practice fire drill including disabled people should be carried
out at least once a year (the fire brigade should be informed of this).
*       Lessons from this procedure should be learnt and changes
implemented.
*       It suggest that extra training should be give to staff in buildings
where the public are present.
*       In buildings where an over-night stay in intended, people requiring
assisted escape should be encouraged to make themselves known to management
during check in procedures.
*       In assembly buildings it is considered the number of disabled people
requiring assistance will be small, however where a large group of disabled
people is present then the organisers should discuss the emergency
evacuation arrangements with the management.
*       Evacuation procedure for disabled people should start the minute the
alarm is raised even in two stage evacuations.
*       In phase 1 they can be moved to a refuge, however the document
states that should a full escape be necessary they should be assisted to a
place of safety.
*       A refuge can also be used for disabled people to rest whist making
their escape and whilst waiting for help to move from the refuge to the
final exit point.
*       The document suggests the use of vertical movement in certain
circumstances. These are:
*       Where there is a need to evacuate an area urgently.
*       Where physical effort dictates the need for respite during the
evacuation.
*       Where there is obstruction to other occupants and it is necessary to
leave the stair way for a short time.
*       Those organising the evacuation of the building should be aware of
        How many disabled people are in the building
        The nature of their disabilities
        The refuges where they are located
The document goes on to give advice about the types of escape that should be
provided.
Use of lifts
BS 5588 part 8 suggests that there are two types of lift that can be used
for escape
        "Unlike a normal passenger lift it is essential that any evacuation
lift can continue to operate safely when there is a fire in the building.
Although it is not necessary to provide a lift for the escape of disabled
people, a fire fighting lift (which is provided principally for the use of
the fire service in fighting fires ) may be used for the evacuation of
disabled people prior to the arrival of the fire service, who will then
assume responsibility of any remaining persons."
The document says that if you have an evacuation lift then it should always
be used.
In order to facilitate this:
*       Liaison with the fire service is necessary.
*       Operation of the lift should be controlled by management of the
building.
*       In work places staff should be trained.
*       The lift car should only be taken to appropriate levels.
*       Only disabled people should use it.
*       Senior staff should be designated to assist in the process.
*       Anyone planning to use a fire fighting lift for evacuation purposes
should inform their local fire service. <
Fire Precautions Act - Fire Safety Certificate / Risk Assessment
These require that suitable evacuation procedures are provided for ALL
people using the building.
Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations
Scotland is covered by the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations and
therefore there is a requirement for building managers to ensure the safe
evacuation of all occupants
Health and Safety Legislation
The importance of staff training in the implementation of the procedures in
case of fire cannot be overstated. ALL staff who may be expected to aid the
evacuation of disabled people should receive training from a competent
person, based on written instructions, on appointment and at least once a
year.
The Disability Discrimination Act
Under the Disability Discrimination Act there is a requirement to adjust
policies, practices and procedure so as not to discriminate against disabled
people. It further reinforces the responsibility of Building Mangers to
ensure that their evacuation procedure take account of the needs of disabled
people. These duties are anticipatory for service providers and therefore
consideration should have been given to reasonable adjustments to evacuation
procedures in advance of disabled people wishing to use the service.
What to do
Building managers
If you are a building manager you need to provide suitable escape plans for
your disabled staff and visitors to the building. You will need to consult
with them to establish what their needs are. You are likely to find that
they have a very clear idea of what it will take to get out of the building.
Once this is established if they require assistance then suitable people
should be recruited to help. They should be trained in what to do. This
includes moving and handling techniques where necessary.
Where the general public are present and therefore consultation is not
possible it is essential that staff are trained in all methods of assisted
escape.
Fire Authorities do have conflicting opinions in the use of fire fighting
lifts. If the building that you operate has a fire fighting lift speak to
the fire service to establish a method that you can use to operate the lift
before they arrive.
The majority of building managers will have already drawn up these plans as
part of their general evacuation system and these plans should be equally
applicable whether or not there is a fire fighters strike. For the minority
who haven't drawn up these plans then this must be undertaken immediately
(For all building users not just disabled people).
Building managers in this situation who haven't planned in advance should
not panic and attempt to exclude disabled people. Arrangements can be put in
place straightforwardly based on the advice set out above and in discussion
with disabled people themselves.
Discussing evacuation with disabled people is particularly beneficial in
breaking down assumptions about their evacuation requirements.
Disabled people
If a disabled person is refused entry to a building due the fire fighters
strike they should explain the following points:
*       Escape plans for disabled people should never rely on the fire
service to provide for disabled people. Evacuation should be planned to
facilitate the escape of all building occupants within three minutes.
Therefore generally before the arrival of the fire service.
*       Explain what your evacuation requirements are. Think the process
through and be as helpful as you can in raising the awareness of the
manager.
*       Be aware of what you can do to enable your own escape.
*       Be alert and be flexible in listening to the alternative suggested
to you.
*       For more information contact the DRC Helpline
Telephone 08457 622633.
Textphone 08457 622644.
Fax 08457 778878.
Email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Post DRC Helpline, FREEPOST, MID 02164, Startford upon Avon, CV37 9BR.
January 2003.