Design Research News, October 2003

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:16:25 +0100

text/plain

_______________________________________________  _______________
___________________________________________      __  _   _   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __   ___  _____
_________________________________________  ____  __  _____   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __  _______  __
___________________________________________      __  ____    ___

DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS Volume 8 Number 10, Oct 2003 ISSN 1473-3862
DRS Digital Newsletter      http://www.designresearchsociety.org

CONTENTS

o   Editorial

o   Expressions of interest - DRS biennial conferences

o   Calls

o   Announcements

o   Books

o   Web

o   The Design Research Society: information

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to Design Research News

EDITOR'S SPACE

This month, we welcome over four hundred new subscribers to
Design Research News. Every year, the editors of Design Research
News launch an outreach campaign to inform colleagues about the
newsletter. Expanding DRN is one way to serve the field of
design research by providing news, services, and information to
a large and growing constituency. With over 7,700 subscribers,
DRN is has largest subscriber base of any regularly published
design periodical, and the widest global circulation. Our
mission is what makes us different to the others.

We are sponsored by the Design Research Society. Our goal is to
provide service and information on a not-for-profit basis. DRN -
and the news we provide - is accessible to new research students
as well as to senior professors, to well-funded design
consultancies and to young designers working alone, to wealthy
universities and to under funded institutions. Our goal is to
expand and improve the field.

This year, we are asking colleagues who value this service to
share it with friends and students. At some point over the next
two months, you will receive a letter from books editor Ken
Friedman asking you to invite colleagues and students to sign up
for a free subscription. If you find DRN useful and informative,
we hope you will join us in making this service even more useful
by sharing it with more people.

Over the past month, we have been focusing on Australia and New
Zealand and we welcome new subscribers from the Pacific region.
See you in Melbourne next November at Futureground!

---

There was an interesting response to last month's call for
institutions to send initial exprssions of interest to host one
of the DRS biennial conferences.  Expressions of interest may be
sent by any academic or commercial institution.  This call is
not confined to the university sector.  The call is being
repeated this month, so if you are interested in being
considered, and receiving more information, please let us know.

DRS BIENNIAL CONFERENCES - EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

The Design Research Society has established a biennial
international conference for the presentation of high quality
design research.  The last event was the Society's conference
'Common Ground' which was held at Brunel University, UK in
September 2002.  The next event, titled 'Futureground', will be
hosted by the Faculty of Art and Design at Monash University,
Melbourne, Australia, and will be held in November 2004.

The DRS conferences are intended to set the benchmark for the
presentation of high quality general design research through
fully peer reviewed submissions.  DRS has considerable expertise
in the running of conferences of this kind over many years.
Advice will be made available to intending organisers, and the
Society will promote the event and work closely with organisers
in making the event a success.

DRS now invites expressions of interest from any university,
company or research institute that is interested in hosting one
of these major events, to be held every two years from and
including 2006.

Please write confidentially to Rachael Luck
<[log in to unmask]> with a very brief outline of:

- venue
- intended year and month
- audience capacity
- any experience of organising similar events

CALLS

*   8-10 October 2004:  Programme of EIA'9 to be held in
     Istanbul

     EIA9: E-Activities and Intelligent Support in Design and the
     Built Environment. 9th EuropIA International Conference

     http://europia.org/eia9 http://www.europia.fr/eia9

*   Special Issue Transportation Textiles Call for Papers:
     Journal of Textile and Apparel Technology and Management
     Forthcoming Issue on "The Way Ahead: Transportation
     Materials for the Future"

     The forthcoming issue of the Journal of Textile and Apparel,
     Technology and Management (JTATM; targeted launch January
     15, 2004) will focus on "The Way Ahead: Transportation
     Materials for the Future. "This issue of JTATM will provide
     a collection of articles on new transportation textile
     products, including product research as well as process
     information (product design, product development) and
     automotive supply chain issues. These articles will bring
     together the current thrusts of academic and industry
     inquiry to provide information for future product needs and
     directions.

     Manuscripts, conceptual and empirical, which broaden and
     deepen understanding of new transportation textile product
     development, process, and supply chain are invited. Papers
     that significantly contribute to the development of new
     textiles by emphasizing managerial implications and/or
     highlighting avenues of future research are also welcome.

     Papers should be submitted on or before November 15, 2003.
     Details from <[log in to unmask]>

     http://www.tx.ncsu.edu/jtatm

*   22-24 March, 2004:  2nd Cambridge Workshop on Universal
     Access and Assistive Technology Fitzwilliam College,
     Cambridge, UK.

     http://rehab-www.eng.cam.ac.uk/cwuaat/cwuaat04.htm

*   IA Summit '04 -- Breaking New Ground IA Summit 2004 Hilton
     Austin, Austin, Texas February 27-29, 2004

     Scope of the Conference: Some of us in the IA field are
     solidifying the IA foundation, digging deeper, while others
     are pushing the boundaries working with other fields and
     platforms. In both cases, we are "breaking new ground". The
     ASIS&T IA Summit 2004 is seeking submissions from
     information architecture practitioners and researchers that
     support this theme. If you are developing the IA practice in
     your organisation by documenting methods, applying IA
     principles to new platforms and devices like interactive TV
     or handheld devices, using techniques from related
     disciplines in your day-to day work or researching the
     latest ways to connect people and content, we want to hear
     from you.

     http://www.asis.org/Conferences/IA04/index.html

*   8-12 August 2004:  SIGGRAPH'04, the 31st International
     Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques,
     to be held at the Los Angeles Convention Centre.

     The internationally recognized ACM SIGGRAPH Conference Art
     Gallery presents: Synaesthesia

     The annual SIGGRAPH Art Gallery has achieved world-wide
     recognition for excellence in showing digital and electronic
     art. The SIGGRAPH 2004 Art Gallery: Synaesthesia will
     showcase original digital art that explores new connections
     between the senses - the technological, the aesthetic, and
     the critical - and emerges from the conjunction of
     cybernetics and human vision, inner as well as outer.

     http://www.siggraph.org/s2004/

*   10-11 May 2004:  Creativity: Designer Meets Technology.
     Keynote Speaker: Jack Lenor Larsen Philadelphia University,
     along with CITDA (Computer Integrated Textile Design
     Association), will host a conference on its campus in
     Philadelphia. Creativity: Designer Meets Technology will
     focus on creativity and how the designer is influenced by an
     expanding technology. Technology means digital and CAD
     driven areas as well as creative products utilizing high
     tech fiber and finishing. Philadelphia University and CITDA
     encourage papers that touch on the design concept, design
     process, presentation, communication, production and/or
     information gathering.

     Possible topics include:

     - Innovation and implementation
     - Direction of future developments
     - Creativity a cure for industry woes
     - Bridging the gap: design to manufacturing
     - Demands for a global business
     - Intellectual property
     - What is creative textile design

     To submit, send a 200-word abstract and a short bio by
     December 15, 2003 to one of the following professors. The
     abstract and short bio may be submitted by email or postal
     mail to one of the following addresses: Professor Peggy
     Goutmann ([log in to unmask]) or Professor Hitoshi Ujiie,

*   Call for Papers: 'Text':  An upcoming issue of M/C Journal
     Recent issues include 'Fight'; 'Share' and 'Logo' Other
     upcoming issues: 'Fibre' and 'Joke'

     Co-editors: Catriona Mills (School of English, Media
     Studies, and Art History, University of Queensland) Matt
     Soar (Dept of Communication Studies, Concordia University)
     Deadline for submissions: 13 October 2003 All inquiries and
     submissions should be emailed to the editors:

     M/C Journal is an online, blind peer-reviewed journal of
     media and culture

     http://www.media-culture.org.au/about.html

*   Call for Papers IEEE Pervasive Computing Pervasive
     Computing for Successful Aging

     IEEE Pervasive Computing magazine invites articles relating
     to the application of pervasive computing to the successful
     aging of the elderly population. We especially welcome
     papers reporting on original research and assessment of
     assistive environments, assistive devices, middleware, elder
     user models and applications in support of:

     - Aging independently
     - Aging with or into disabilities
     - Coping with Dementia
     - Coping with Cognitive impairment (e.g., Alzheimer's
       Disease)
     - Safe elder driving
     - Remote monitoring and lifeline-like services of the future
     - Medicine compliance
     - Security and safety at home
     - Coping with depression and loneliness
     - Tele-healthcare and tele-rehabilitation
     - Entertainment and social aspects of elders

     Submissions should be 4,000 to 6,000 words long. All
     submissions will be anonymously reviewed in accordance with
     normal practice for scientific publications. Electronic
     submissions via the Manuscript Central should be received by
     December 15, 2003. Instructions on the submission process
     and the magazine guidelines on style and presentation can be
     found on the Author Guidelines page
     (http://computer.org/pervasive/author.htm)

     In addition to full-length submissions, we also invite
     work-in-progress submissions of 250 words or less. These
     will not be peer-reviewed, but will be edited by the staff
     into a feature for the issue. The deadline for
     work-in-progress submissions is February 15, 2004.

     If you have any questions, please contact the Lead Editor,
     Crystal Shif <[log in to unmask]> or the Editor-in-Chief, M.
     Satyanarayanan <[log in to unmask]>.

     Submission Deadline:  December 15, 2003 WIP Deadline:
     February 15, 2004 Author guidelines:

     http://computer.org/pervasive/author.htm

*   30 June - 1 July 2004: 2nd International Meeting, PRIDE
     AND PRE-DESIGN, The Cultural Heritage and the Science of
     Design, Lisbon - Portugal

     It's the moment to announce the 2nd International Meeting,
     PRIDE AND PRE-DESIGN, The Cultural Heritage and the Science
     of Design will be a part of Cumulus General Assembly, Lisbon
     2005, hosted by ESD/IADE and UNIDCOM/IADE.

     The scope of the conference is to evaluate the links between
     the cultural heritage and the projectual culture. It will be
     focused on rewriting the idea of Material Culture. This
     concept, discharged from its materialist stigmata, is useful
     to understand broad frameworks that links Science, Art and
     Design.

     One of the major results of 'Senses & Sensibility' meeting
     was that people using different methodologies from sciences,
     engineering and design found numerous platforms in which
     they could talk about related issues. With P&P we aim to
     gather, also, artists and historians to this group. Although
     this is a fact, we are interested, mostly, on the
     contemporary use of cultural heritage. Findings about what
     was the real author of a particular sculpture the mausoleum
     of an obscure rich man from Braga in the XVIII Century or
     what was Caravaggio last meal are not recommended.

     The scope of the meeting is to show and discuss how the
     design sciences are linked (directly or indirectly) to each
     one's cultural heritage, from artefacts or science knowledge
     to works of art. We also remind you that cultural heritage
     starts yesterday and discussions on relations between
     contemporary art and design are welcome.

     In short, we are focused in culture, material culture, or
     even e-material culture for which the cultural heritage is
     the knowledgeable starting point.

     http://www.iade.pt/pp2005/

*   10-12 May 2004:  A Conference on Development.  Gregynog
     Hall Gregynog Newtown Powys UK.

     Development studies is a hybrid discipline that draws upon a
     wide spectrum of academic interests: economics, sociology,
     planning, social policy, geography, health, education,
     product design and manufacture, human rights, child welfare,
     culture, the environment, tourism, labour and employment
     etc. Consequently, there are interested academic staff,
     postgraduates and practitioners working across a range of
     departments.

     The proposed colloquium will, therefore, provide an
     important focus for researchers and practitioners with
     diverse backgrounds and interests. The themes of this first
     development colloquium will not be restricted. However we
     are particularly interested in promoting links between
     international development issues and the post-devolution
     agenda in Wales.

     Abstracts Abstracts of not more than 250 words should be
     sent to: <[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]> not later
     than 28th November 2003.

*   Journal of Design Research special issue on architecture and
     design

     The Journal [of Design Research] is currently launching its
     fourth theme issue: Architecture and Design: Chicken-and-Egg
     in Professional Practice and Research? Guest Editors for
     this issue are Halina Dunin-Woyseth, Ann Heylighen and
     Michel Leglise. Deadline for submissions: 1st January 2004.

     The Journal of Design Research is an electronic journal,
     allowing pictures, videos and other multimedia components to
     be published. Each month the journal is visited well over
     2.000 times by people of at least 370 different institutes,
     world-wide.

     Design is an interdisciplinary and integrative process
     constituting an intellectual field of thinking and research
     and a professional field of practice and applied research.
     From this perspective, the Journal of Design Research offers
     a platform for high-quality research, theory making,
     analysis, education, and practice. I hope that the journal
     provides many of you with a useful communication tool.

     http://jdr.tudelft.nl

*   The Graduate Journal of Social Science announces its second
     call for papers. We are looking for papers by graduate
     students (Masters to Post-Doc) with a focus on
     interdisciplinary methodology in the social sciences (see
     below and http://www.gjss.org for details). Discussion
     papers, book reviews, conference reviews are also welcome.

     Deadline for submission is the 24th of November, 2003. All
     details on the modalities of submission are to be found at
     www.gjss.org

     http://www.gjss.org

*   9-15 November 2003: The 7th Nordic Interactive Research
     School - Call for Participation Interface: from the desktop
     to interactive spaces - Challenging aesthetics, architecture
     and computer science - Aarhus, Denmark

     http://www.nordic-interactive.org/researchschool/nires/
     nires7.shtml

ANNOUNCEMENTS

*   Challis Hodge writes:  Forgive me for the blanket email but
     I wanted to invite you to participate in an important
     discussion regarding a future home for professionals
     practicing in the area of interaction design. There are many
     of us out there that find our center of gravity is in this
     area yet no organization or group adequately provides us
     with a home. To that end we're looking for a home. The
     answer may be working within an existing organization,
     starting a new one or perhaps something yet unknown to us
     all. This is an important discussion. At the writing of this
     email we have almost 700 subscribers. I hope you'll weigh
     in.

     I hope you'll take 1-2 minutes to participate in a very
     brief survey on the matter. Also please forward this note on
     to friends and colleagues that may be interested as well.

     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=99126279342

     After you're finished please consider joining our email
     discussion list to further voice your thoughts and opinions.

     http://www.interactiondesigners.com

*   2-4 December 2003:  Seongnam 2003, World Design Forum.
     Emerging Asia and Design Business Strategy.  Korea Design
     Center

     In October 2000, Seongnam City and the Korea Institute of
     Design Promotion (KIDP), in collaboration with the
     International Council of Societies of Industrial Design
     (ICSID), hosted the International Young Designer's Workshop
     2000. This meeting was followed by the ICSID Educational
     Seminar in 2001, starting off an ongoing collaboration among
     the three entities to hold international design events in
     Seongnam. With the conference of the following year,
     entitled world design forum 2002 Design Policy and Global
     Network, it was decided to continue these meetings as an
     annual event under the name world design forum (wdf). This
     year's wdf2003, which will be the fourth meeting co-hosted
     by ICSID, KIDP and Seongnam City, and the second meeting
     under the new name, will focus on the theme of Emerging Asia
     and Design Business Strategy.

     The organizers hope that these annual conferences will
     provide a platform for designers around the world to gather
     and discuss the most pressing design issues of the moment
     and to continue building lasting global networks. Moreover,
     the event is now eagerly awaited by the Korean design
     community as one of the most important international design
     events in the nation.

     The focus of this year's conference was determined in
     response to the great Asian boom that is being driven by
     China's phenomenal growth with the hope that this year's wdf
     gathering will provide participants with the opportunity to
     exchange ideas and collaborate to make the most of the new
     market conditions.

     http://www.wdf2003.org (will be operating in mid October)

*   28-30 June 2004: Design & Nature 2004 Second
     International Conference: Comparing Design in Nature with
     Science and Engineering, Rhodes, Greece

     The Design and Nature Conference is to be reconvened in 2004
     following the success of the first meeting, held in Udine,
     Italy in 2002.

     Throughout history, many leading thinkers have been inspired
     by the parallels between nature and human design, in
     mathematics, engineering and other areas. Today, the huge
     increase in biological knowledge, developments in design
     engineering systems, together with the virtual revolution in
     computer power and simulation modelling, have all made
     possible more comprehensive studies of nature.

     Scientists and engineers now have at their disposal a vast
     array of relationships for materials, mechanisms and
     control. The resulting laws have been painstakingly
     assembled by observation and analysis and span the cosmic
     scale of space down to the molecular level of genetics. In
     particular, they have made us aware of the rich diversity of
     the natural world around us.

     It is these developments which have prompted the reconvening
     of this international conference on Design and Nature. It is
     intended that the meeting will bring together researchers
     from around the world working on a variety of studies
     involving nature and their significance for modern
     scientific thought and design.

     http://www.wessex.ac.uk/conferences/2004/design2004/1.html

*   Porada International Design  Award 2003. Porada Arredi
     Ltd., with scientific consultancy from Design Faculty,
     Politecnico of Milano - Regional Branch of Como - and in
     collaboration with Poli.design Consortium, is promoting an
     international competition of ideas with the objective of
     identifying new design solutions for the production of
     furniture and furnishing accessories in which there is a
     prevalent use of solid wood, destined for the manufacture
     and marketing of products under the Porada brand.

     http://www.porada.it

*   Serikos Fashion/Textile Design Award 2003.  Serikos
     Collection and Textile Corp., with scientific consultancy
     from Design Faculty, Politecnico of Milano - Regional Branch
     of Como - and Poli.design Consortium, is promoting an
     international competition of ideas with the objective of
     identifying new design solutions for the production of
     clothing fabrics in destined for the manufacture and
     marketing of products under the Serikos brand.

     http://www.design.polimi.it

*   Issue no 4 of Design Philosophy Papers has just been posted.
     It features:

     - Two very different essays on the theme of  'Technology as
     Environment' one by an environmental philosopher and another
     by a designer researching 'ubiquitous computing';

     - Reviews of two books on changing images of the city - one
     a photographic project, the other a work of cultural theory;

     - Further discussion on Design for Sustainment including
     news of major upcoming projects.

     Go to http://www.desphilosophy.com and click on 'current
     issue'.

     Working across philosophy, design and environmental theory,
     our content is developing in interesting directions. Many of
     the ideas explored this year will be taken up and further
     developed during 2004, along with some completely new themes
     (we publish 6 issues a year). To take best advantage of
     this, we recommend becoming a subscriber, so you can access
     back issues at your convenience (as well as receiving an
     annual hard copy/CD collection).

*   The Japan Design Foundation has published the Report Design
     Practice in the World 2002. It deals with Universal Design,
     Ecological Design, and Design Strategy.

     http://www.jdf.or.jp <http://www.jdf.or.jp/>

*   Art and Design Education (Resource Guide 2004) is a
     comprehensive guide to art and design courses in Australia
     and New Zealand.

     http://www.designgraphics.com.au

*   Brochure for Collaboration between Scandinavian Design
     Colleges

     http://www.icograda.org/web/galeria-current.shtml

*   'Countering design exclusion' is a new course-book for
     students of inclusive (universal) design. This book provides
     an open and accessible introduction to the theory and
     practice of inclusive design. It is also heavily illustrated
     with over 400 figures, diagrams and photographs in its 227
     pages.

     http://rehab-www.eng.cam.ac.uk/cde.htm>http://rehab-www.eng.
     cam.ac.uk/cde.htm

*   17-18 October 2003:  About, With and For Conference in
     Chicago  will again be sponsored by students at the
     Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology.

     This year's conference revolves around the topic of
     synthesis. Due to all the great comments and suggestions
     offered by attendees of last year's event, we've made some
     changes to the conference structure. We've also built in
     more opportunities for conference participants to engage in
     dialogue about how differing professions practicing user
     research can compliment and support one another in achieving
     their goals.

     http://www.aboutwithandfor.com.

*   International Journal of Innovation and Technology
     Management

     Aims and Scope The objectives of the journal are to develop
     and promote the fields of innovation and technology
     management by providing a platform for reporting, sharing as
     well as the exchange of ideas, research findings, industry
     best practice and trends in the selected fields. In
     particular, the journal will focus on the managerial issues
     and challenges (and ways to address them) brought about by
     the increasing pace of technological advancement globally.
     This international dimension is emphasized in order to
     promote greater exchange between researchers of different
     cultural and national background, thus contributing and
     enriching our knowledge in the fields of innovation and
     technology management.

     The journal encompasses all facets of the process of
     technological innovation from the conceptualization of new
     products and processes to its commercialization and
     utilization. The topics include management of innovation,
     technology management, new product/process development and
     introduction, transfer of technology, management of
     entrepreneurial ventures at strategic and operational
     levels, in both large organizations as well as small medium
     enterprises (SME).

     http://www.worldscinet.com/ijitm/ijitm.shtml

*   13 September - 13 October 2003: International Art Blog A
     free exhibition by the Centre of Attention presented on

     http://www.thecentreofattention.org

*   INVITATION  From John Thackara.  This is an invitation
     to join us in Bangalore this coming December for a "working
     party" to celebrate the tenth birthday of Doors of
     Perception.

     We see DoorsEast as a unique and timely opportunity to
     re-connect with our friends and associates, in the exciting
     context of an emerging innovation city, and to discuss how
     we might collectively shape the design of tomorrow's
     services in a sustainable information society.

     DoorsEast 2003 is a cluster of events on the theme: "Local
     knowledge: design and innovation of tomorrow's services".
     Our partners in the event are the Centre for Knowledge
     Societies (CKS) and the National Institute of Design, in
     India, and Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, and Nokia, in
     Europe.

     The main event in December is a two-day international
     encounter - part conference, part open space workshop - on
     11 and 12 December. It will address the question: how do we
     design new services, enabled by ICT, that are based on local
     knowledge, and use local content?

     We will compare diverse scenarios from both India and Europe
     that use location based information (GIS / GPS), groups,
     unit-to-unit broadcast, short audio messaging,
     text-to-speech, WiFi networks and other innovative
     approaches. Tools and methodologies for mapping local
     knowledge will be presented and compared. Speakers will
     share lessons learned about the way new business models, and
     wireless communications, are changing the ways we design for
     mobility, geography, and access.

     Since 1993 Doors of Perception has addressed the question:
     we have seen what 'tech' can do, but what it is for?
     During the last ten years we have also learned that the
     world is made of many highly interconnected parts, over many
     scales - and that gaps between disciplines, between
     researchers and business, and between cultural contexts,
     hinder the transition to sustainability.

     Doors bridges those gaps. In our second ten years, beginning
     with DoorsEast2, we want to accelerate sharply the
     development of a design and innovation networking which we
     learn how to design services, enabled by ICT, that meet
     basic needs in new ways. We will share this knowledge with
     citizens, innovators, industry, and professionals.

     http://www.doorseast.com/

*   MACHINISTA FESTIVAL - artificial intelligence in art -

     The Machinista festival celebrates artificial intelligence
     in the arts, presenting an international selection of works
     where the machine plays an essential role in the creative
     process.

     Machinista 2003 is at http://www.machinista.ru/en

     For more on Machinista Glasgow 2004 keep an eye on

     http://www.machinista.org.uk

*   Graduate Research and Teaching Assistantships in
     Communication and Technology at Rensselaer Polytechnic
     Institute

     Expanding undergraduate enrollment and an increase in major
     funded research projects have generated some very attractive
     funding opportunities for outstanding graduate students as
     Teaching Assistants (T.A.s) or Research Assistants (R.A.s).
     Students interested in studying and researching
     computer-mediated communication, human-computer interaction
     (HCI), visual communication and digital document design,
     technology & culture, and technical communication at one of
     the most wired universities in the U.S. are invited to
     apply.

     Details: Kathy Colman, Recruitment Coordinator

     http://www.llc.rpi.edu/

*   Icograda and the University of Brighton signed a formal
     agreement for the Icograda Archive, which adds to the
     University of Brighton's development of a major bank of
     twentieth century design archives.

     http://www.icograda.org/web/feature-current.shtml

*   Prof. Dr. Peter Zec, head of the Design Zentrum Nordrhein
     Westfalen, has been chosen as President-Elect of ICSID as of
     2005.

*   21-22 November 2003:  Colour and Design Conference A Joint
     Meeting Between The Linnean Society of London and The
     Institution of Mechanical Engineering.

     Colour in design in the natural and engineered worlds.
     Colour plays a vital part in a very wide range of fields of
     study and in our day-to-day lives. Yet we tend to keep our
     specialist areas to ourselves! The aim of this conference is
     to promote cross-fertilisation of ideas, to form new and
     potentially productive links and to interest a wider public
     than is usual in art, science and technology. This joint
     meeting between the IMechE and the Linnean Society is in
     London on 21 & 22 November 2003.

     http://www.linnean.org/html/news_events/events.htm

BOOKS

*   Mann, Chris, and Fiona Stewart. 2002. Internet
     Communication and Qualitative Research. A Handbook for
     Researching Online. London: Sage Publications.

     This handbook provides a generous and comprehensive overview
     of qualitative research on the Internet.

     After defining terms and discussing the general field of
     Internet research, the authors take the reader through the
     central issues of practical research using computer-mediated
     communication.

     The third chapter provides an ethical framework for online
     research. This is particularly important in two key ways.
     One is the thorough and careful discussion of research
     ethics specific to the Internet. The other is the larger
     question of research ethics in general. Many of these topics
     apply to all forms of qualitative research and to some forms
     of quantitative research where human beings are involved.
     For this reason, this chapter offers a valuable contribution
     to any training program in design research.

     The core of the book addresses the practical details of
     online research. This includes an introduction and overview
     of online research methods, a detailed discussion of online
     focus groups, and a thoughtful analysis of online
     interviews. The authors devote a full chapter to power
     issues, including gender, power relations, and privacy. They
     give an equally important chapter to language mode and
     analysis, with attention to computer-mediated communication
     as a hybrid communication medium. This leads to a discussion
     of the problems of computer-mediated communication as a
     research mode, and a consideration of implications for data
     analysis.

     The two final chapters will be particularly interesting for
     anyone who plans to use on-line research methods in the
     design fields. The first involves virtuality. Design
     research is now a global enterprise, spanning many cultures
     and linking colleagues in dozens of remote locations. The
     developments of exciting new research collaborations raise
     important issues. One of these is the fact that we must
     resolve communication and cultural differences, building on
     them and occasionally being separated by them as we work
     together. The value of computer-mediated communication
     becomes clearer as we are increasingly required to clarify
     issues and render tacit knowledge explicit. The problems are
     equally great. It is difficult to communicate completely in
     text, or even with text and collaborative web sites. This
     means that any online research involves a number of
     important issues including attention to identity,
     disembodiment, and an understanding of how these affect
     research.

     This leads to a second, important challenge. Design research
     often involves working with physical artifacts and physical
     engagement with embodied human beings. This is even
     sometimes true of digital artifacts: even though these
     artifacts can be communicated through computers, the people
     who use them inhabit the physical world.

     After a fine conclusion on future directions, the book
     provides a useful glossary and appendices with online
     consent forms, sample email text-based survey forms, and a
     web-page-based survey.

     Only a few years ago, online research involved so few
     scholars that one editor alone was able to publish much of
     the best work done in three books (Jones 1995, 1997, 1998).
     Within the last few years, Internet research has grown to
     the point where there is now an Association of Internet
     Researchers (AOIR 2003) and the robust Encyclopedia of New
     Media (Jones 2002).

     Chris Mann and Fiona Stewart have made an admirable
     contribution to the field. Their work will also serve the
     needs of the increasing number of design research scholars
     and professionals who use online methods in their work-

     -- Reviewed by Ken Friedman