JiscMail Logo

Help for NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH Archives

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH Archives

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH Archives

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH Home

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH Home

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH  September 2002

NARRATIVE-HEALTH-RESEARCH September 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Standpoint theory and assimilating the 'most unwelcome truth'

spa14 <[log in to unmask]>

Researching and evaluating the use of narrative in health and related fields <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:50:23 +0100

text/plain

Therese, Tom: something I came across just today that maybe ties in with this
notion of defended subject - I've been looking at autonomy in terms of
research ethics, and particularly from a social constructionist perspective.
Chris MacDonald, [writing in Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics (2002)
11, 282-289] refers to the work of Susan Sherwin a feminist accademic, who
writes that: "when the messages of reduced self-worth are internalized,
agents... tend to lose the ability even to know their own objective
interests".  Apparently Sherwin and Anne Donchin are two theorists who explore
the importance of power structures and social relationships as the contexts in
which choice is exercised.

S.Sherwin: A relational approach to autonomy in health care.  In: Sherwin, S,
ed. The Politics of Women's Health: Exploring Agency and Autonomy.
Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1998.

A. Donchin. Reworking autonomy: toward a feminist perspective.  Cambridge
Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 1995; 4: 44-55.

Regards
bernadette.

Bernadette Bartlam
Research Fellow