SIDNEY-SPENSER  August 2002

SIDNEY-SPENSER August 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fw: Una's love & God's; PLEASE FORWARD TO SPENSERLIST FOR ME--THANKS!

"james w. broaddus" <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:49:34 -0400

text/plain

 Nohrnberg asked me to forward his response to the list. It follows my brief
 note.

 Actually, I have something in mind much simpler (as those who know me would
 have guessed) than I have led the respondents to think. I am examining the
 physiology of the collapses Una suffers during her search for Redcrosse.
 Each is the result of an emotional shock to the capacity of her heart to
 generate the vital spirits necessary to life. The collapses thus reinforce
 the purely emotional movements of her heart such as that found in her
 response to meeting Archimago disguised as Redcrosse. A comparison I have
in
 mind is with Britomart. Her  love for Artegall is also full-hearted; but it
 is basically an expression of her organs of generation and thus admits all
 kinds of emotions, even distrust and jealousy.  Una's love wells up wholly
 from the pure fountain of her heart. And so, my interest is not, as I led
 Berger to think, in the idea that God's love can be understood as eros, but
 that Una's love is so pure it bears comparison to,  not is equated with,
 God's agape.

 My thanks for the responses. They have been most helpful.

 Jim Broaddus

 Norhnberg's response: