The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  July 2002

DISABILITY-RESEARCH July 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Labels & being ignored anyway

Johnson Cheu <[log in to unmask]>

Johnson Cheu <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:09:12 -0400

text/plain

Jim and all:

What I said was: "And certainly, if I want folks to recognize my claim to
disability as identity, Disabled Person does that for me in a way that
Person with XXX doesn't."

I never did say that the distinction between the two (DP v. PWD) was simply
a matter of "grammatical standardization." What I said was it's a matter of
identity, self-naming and self-determinism.  Notice: I said, "for me" I did
not say "for everyone." Though, yes, there are certainly people who agree
with the distinction I was making, as there are people who agree with your
stance.

And I don't advocate "colored people" because most people have come to a
consensus that the term, is, for various reasons, more pejorative that
"Person of Color"  Or at least it's less trendy. Personally, I don't really
care for either term, because they focus on racial skin tone rather than
cultural ethnicity.  If you notice, however, I do advocate Asian American
v. Person of Asian descent which would seem to me to be similar logic to DP
v. PWD.

As to your issue with my scholar status, again, I did not say that I "know
better".  If you read my last post, what I said was that I am very clear
that I do represent (being one of the few visibly disabled in my dept.,
standing in front of a group of students, giving a paper to a bunch of
nondisabled academics, etc.) But that that is often about a label that
others place on me as opposed to anything that I may actually do. I try, in
these instances, to to present as many sides as I can.  Though you wouldn't
know, because you haven't seen me teach, for instance, when I'm asked what
the "correct" term is in a classroom situation, (or even at times, on the
street,) I present and give reasons for all sides -- Ok, at least I always
try.  ("Some people think this/Some people think that because...") It
doesn't mean that I am not entitled to my own opinion on the matter, or
that stating it doesn't give room for any of the other flowers to
bloom.  If some people choose not to go for the water, that's their
decision, not mine.

Johnson

At 10:53 PM 7/27/02 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:

> [...]
>disabilty status.  There are situations where "PWD" doesn't work for me
>as well as something more specific.  I can either stand there having an
>intellectual/rights argument in which the other person has little idea
>what I'm talking about since they see no assistive devices, or I can
>solve the problem by situational use of language.
>
>Example:  Yesterday when I was helping facilitate a huge 5,000 person
>public input meeting in a convention hall, on the urban planning of
>lower Manhattan reconstruction.... I had to use the bathroom.  All the
>trailer-toilets were with many steps, except one was ramped.  To me,
>steps = pain and joint damage.  As I walked up the ramp, one of the
>convention hall employees sitting nearby said "Hey, that's for
>disabled!. You can;t use that."   In this situation since he didn't have
>any key, and  was 15 feet away, I said "I have a disability and I don't
>need your permission" and didn't stop walking as I said it.  I have had
>hundreds of situations in which to test language variations and find out
>what penetrates the person's ignorance, and what doesn't.  On other
>occasions like where somebody has to find a lift key... I find it only
>works to more specifically say "I have difficulty climbing steps"... or
>"I have severe arthritis and it's hard for me to use steps..." ...
>whatever seems like it's going to work.   In theory I shouldn't have to
>explain any particulars, but I live in a real world, not a theoretical
>one.  This sentence may come out in 3 or 4 ways on different days in
>different situations.... none of which has anything to do with changing
>how I conceive of my identity.  My identity doesn't change day by day.
>
>As scholars we have an ethical obligation to not inflate the value of
>what we do in order to make ourselves or our field more important, and
>to not think that what we do makes us more knowledgable and/or elite
>than it does.  Conflict of interest considerations apply to us as much
>as to any profession.  And to not use scholarship or professional status
>to try to control PWDs or any others.
>
>Scholarship is a product and more generally, a service.  Progressives
>among us may even see it has having a component of public service.
>
>It has long been part of medical doctors' ethics to not offer medical
>advice except when asked.  If DS wants to define itself by a critique of
>the profession of medicine, then perhaps in the ethics department, it
>should do no less.
>
>There is a not-very-fine line between saying "If we did this, here's why
>I believe  the benefits would be this..." versus saying "PWDS should all
>do this...."
>

>________________End of message______________________
>
>Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
>are now located at:
>
>www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
>You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

Johnson Cheu
http://people.english.ohio-state.edu/cheu.1
The Ohio State University, Dept. of English
421 Denney Hall, 164 W. 17th. Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
(614) 292-1730 (Office); (614) 292-6065 (Dept.); (614) 292-7816 (Fax)
Curriculum Consultant, Project LEND
http://www.osu.edu/units/osunc
Nisonger Center, 357 McCampbell Hall
The Ohio State University
1581 Dodd Drive, Columbus, OH 43210
(614) 247-6073 (Office); (614) 292-3727 (Fax)

are now located at: