Re: Libraries Application Profile (fwd)

"Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>

Dublin Core Libraries Application Profile <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 May 2002 09:19:52 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Exchange with Andrew Wilson about Holding Location.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:28:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rebecca S. Guenther <[log in to unmask]>
To: Andrew Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Libraries Application Profile

Andrew:

Thanks for making me aware of this. I'm not sure that it is really the
same kind of data as Availability, although it is related. I see "holding
location" more as the repository where the resource is held. It may or may
not be available from that repository (primarily depending upon things
like access rights). It is the entity responsible for housing and
maintaining it. I think this is different from availability in that
availability is where you can obtain a copy, and it would have subelements
such as cost, email, etc.

I can't help but see this in terms of the data we include in records in
libraries. We have a field 037 in MARC 21 called Source of Acquisition
which is pretty much what you have in Availability and includes many of
the subelements. It is used for purchasing the item. The Holding Location
in DC-Lib, however, is equivalent to MARC field 852, which is where the
resource is held, not where it is acquired. It may be acquired from that
institution in terms of using it, but not in terms of actually owning or
purchasing it. So I see them as distinct. The description of MARC field
852 is at:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdhold.html#mrcb852
and 037:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdnumb.html#mrcb037

I will bring this up to the Usage Board in the discussion. It is
definitely related, but not the same.

Thanks for the information.

Rebecca