DC-ENVIRONMENT May 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: 6th Framework

Dublin Core Metadata Initiative's Environment Special Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 May 2002 12:40:35 +0200

text/plain

Dear all,

I'd like to describe you a project we actually work on. Perhaps you may
find our participation in your project helpfull.

In 2000 we started improving our metainformation system consisting of mere
databases and contacts. I did not helped much the organization of the
environmental information.
So we have been working on environmental catalog consisting of:
- databases and structure of information that can be found in the database
- expert and organisation directory
- authorised documents
- services, etc.
All these types have the same cataloguing scheme: Thematic (GEMET), Spatial
(our own) and Temporal/Event thesaurus (yet a simple one).
Thesauri have synonyms and GEMET has been extended by synonyms and specific
new descriptors (cca 10 000 - ) to increase search accuracy.

We have been running first version of structured linguistic analyzer - a
"simple" gadget that using word morphology parses the user query thru all
the thesauri and returns back to user a particularization of the query.
The query after decompostion to theme/time/space is used as a keyword
search in the catalog. In case the search returns also any information
source, we go and ask it for "signal information", i.e. concise information
not revealing real data but just the information whether the information
for specified theme/time/space is present.
I know this concept has been broadly discussed already and here I'd like to
thank Thomas Bandholtz who unknowingly brought this idea to me.
We have extended somewhat this concept and now we expect it shall bring
first results.

We put emphasis on consistency of the whole
query/search/retrieval/presentation chain and this is the most important
achievement.

Currently from the project work more or less its parts (ie. portal,
analyzer, catalog, information broker and database connectors, thesauri)
and we plan to seam it together before September 02.
We are highly interested in joining the club since this project can bring
us new ideas and verify our goals.

To Stefan:
We have unofficial Czech GEMET translation. We are working for more than
one year on refining of the thesaurus - many terms are duplicated because
of nature of the Czech expert language.
We plan to send it to you in end of July?

All the best,
Jiri

"Bandholtz, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
na 18.05.2002 13:30:26

Odpovězte prosím  -  "Dublin Core Metadata Initiative's Environment Special
       Interest Group" <[log in to unmask]>

Odesláno kým:     "Dublin Core Metadata Initiative's Environment Special
       Interest Group" <[log in to unmask]>