Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: CCP and structured values

Warwick Cathro <[log in to unmask]>

Dublin Core Libraries Application Profile <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:32:50 +1100

text/plain

Everyone,

I am just catching up on the "CCP and Structured Values" discussion, so
apologies if these comments have arrived after the discussion is all over!

* I am personally comfortable with the idea of "Value Components" or
"Structured Values", probably because like many of you I did lots of
cataloguing in an earlier incarnation using MARC subfields.  But I know
(based on discussions at some previous DC Workshops) that this concept is
opposed by a number of prominent members of the DCMI community.  To them, an
element is an element and it can't be decomposed.  Those who hold this view
need to explain how they propose to deal with the fact that some elements
are clearly related to other elements and that in many cases that
relationship has a whole/part aspect - such as the parts of a personal name,
or the parts of a postal address.  My worry, though, is that we may be
spending time discussing a concept which is going to be rejected by the DCMI
community, and I wonder if we should not be re-testing the concept first.
(I missed DC-2001, so if all this was discussed in Tokyo I apologise).

* When an earlier manifestation of the Agents Group met in Frankfurt in
1999, it proposed the following four Value Components for Agent: Name,
Affiliation, Date range and Jurisdiction [the latter was intended to apply
only to corporate agents].  It was in the subsequent plenary discussion that
the concept of Value Components was questioned by some Workshop delegates.
Those four components were recommended on the basis that they may be needed
to IDENTIFY the agent.  (The discussion at the Frankfurt Agents Group
meeting had questioned whether DC elements shouild be used to DESCRIBE
agents).

* I think the Value Component of "Jurisdiction" is an important one that is
not covered by Affiliation and probably not by Location either.
("Jurisidiction" can be defined as: The local, provincial, regional,
national or supranational authority to which a corporate body belongs.
Example: Jurisdiction may be "Australia" when Name is "Department of Finance
and Administration").

* I was interested in Robina's comment that "Affiliation" is "the agent's
affiliation at the time of the production of the resource".  This made me
wonder whether there is an argument that the agent's affliation can be
regarded as an attribute of the resource, as well as being an attribute of
the agent.  I am however, bothered by the fact that, strictly speaking, it
is difficult to define "Affiliation" as a "value component" for the agent.
It is an attribute that is related to the agent, but not really part of the
agent.

* When I had a go at a strawman Agent Element Set a couple of years ago (see
http://www.nla.gov.au/meta/drafts/dcagent2.html) I drafted the element
"Contact" rather than "Location".  "Contact" was defined as "Postal or
electronic contact information pertaining to the agent" and I noted that the
vCard MIME Directory Profile (RFC 2426) specifies a range of elements that
could be considered to be components of "Contact".  In normal cicumstances,
one of these elements would be the same as "Affiliation" but this does not
always apply: for example, an author may be based at one institution but
have have prepared the resource as a contractor under a different
affiliation.

I hope these comments are of some use - I am conscious that I have been
out-of-the-loop for some time.  As a member of the Agents Group, and a
member of the "DELOS/NSF Working Group on Reference Models for Digital
Libraries: Actors and Roles", I'm happy to help with the discussion of the
Value Components ideas, so that we can (after more than 3 years of talking!)
get some closure on these issues.

Warwick

Warwick Cathro
Assistant Director-General, Information Technology
National Library of Australia
Ph:  02 6262 1358
Fax: 02 6273 3648
Mob: 0411 868 411