Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: new sub: Ship Makkit at Patutiva

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:04:22 +0000

text/plain

I like this one - possibly more than the others? Possibly... (but that's not
saying I didn't like the others!)
I would guess in a collection of poems about the place it would find its
place - the different style would't inhibit a reader from getting what's
here (imho).
I still find myself being slowed down by one or two of the adjectives (but
not many!) and sense that where you've linked two then maybe one may do...
(or, even, none?).
Also, because the poem's so densely packed together (and has long lines) it
reads very quickly (so quickly I tend to get tongue-tied in places). But
that's an observation more than a criticsism. Because, if you can read it
smoothly, not having to concentrate too much, then it might just be me. (I
find the alliterations sound too much for me - and I almost lose the flow of
what else is going on when I reach a cluster of such sounds).
But I really enjoy going where it's taking me!
And the end images, the
"All over the village lights burn a while, then dowse,
> > > one last raucous peal of laughter, a dog responds with indignation,
> > > then, slowly, silence and the moon folds Patutiva into sleep"

trail off into a quietness that lulls me into recognising the contrast.
Canny,
Bob