THE-WORKS  2002

THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Bathing by Starlight-Sue & grasshopper...

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:28:10 +0000

text/plain

This is a fascinating discussion (that's moved on into talking about voice,
but in it's roots, is well worth exploring too). Wish I’d been able to
log-on and join in earlier!
I sense it’s touching on things that are something we all see as an issue:
how workshops work at poems.
I don’t see the purpose of the WORKS, or any workshop that critiques (that
discusses and suggests changes to poems, and therefore learns about poetry
and its craft on the job) as a way of dumbing down a poem. But it is a way
of highlighting words that seem to shout too loudly, grate, giggle, or
grumble when they shouldn’t be doing that. It’s often a debate about
language crowd control. And then the poet’s then got to start sifting
through all the different faced words again until he or she again comes
across one that may look like the one that’s wanted and checking it out
that’s surely a good thing.
I sometimes like to talk about words being weary, being over-worked and
ready for the retirement home. They’re usually descriptive words (adjectives
and adverbs, and adjectival or adverbial phrases – cos they sometimes bring
others with them).
But then I see other words as bright, shiny, and just-the-job kind of words.
Sometimes they’re brand-new, and even though it’s not their newness I love
most, I find these seem to want to be used more than the ones that seem
weary even when I discover them in dictionaries. It’s like with Arthur’s
poem, describing trees as round shouldered is new to me (and fits the poem
because it links in with the physical appearance described later) but arbour
feels older (as if it’s bringing suitcases of resonances with it of pastoral
poems that it doesn’t need in this new poem – and it’s a big, heavy suitcase
to carry!).
And, as you say Sue, Shakespeare’s an interesting guy to compare things
with, not just because of him as a writer, but because of the way language
was changing all around him all the time. I’ve heard it said that he first
wrote one in ten words in his plays. I don’t want to believe that as an
accurate figure – but I do want to acknowledge that, because I want to
highlight him as a user of contemporary words in, sometimes, their first
recorded ways (and sometimes he rediscovered words but used them in new
ways). I feel he, like Ezra Pound, would be saying “Keep it new.” He had an
audience to please.
I’m also not sure that all the words I use in my poems are mine anyway. I
sort of sense words must fly round invisibly and then occupy me - and others
– (while they’re still flying round looking for yet more people). I sort of
borrow them, or steal them, for my poems. And if other poets complain about
my borrowings or thievings - because there’s still honour among thieves, and
admiration at what others get away with - I listen.
I’d prefer to be called a word-thief than one of the poetry police!
Bob