THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

If anyone is interested...

Maryann Hazen-Stearns <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:50:21 -0800

text/plain

Hi friends,

I don't usually forward stuff like this, but it looks good and I thought
some of you might be interested.

THE BEST OF MELIC: Three Years Online NOW AVAILABLE!

     It is our pleasure to introduce our print anthology, The Best of
Melic: Three Years Online, a 275-page perfect-bound
     paperback you can cradle in your non-virtual hand. We have begun
mailing copies this week. To order your copy
     (or copies), simply click here and follow the PayPal instructions on
our homepage, else send a check made out to:

     The Melic Review
     700 E. Ocean Blvd
     Long Beach, CA, 90802.

     Our cost is $17 including shipping and handling, but any who ordered
a copy at the previously estimated price of $10
     should receive one nonetheless, due to the generosity of other
contributors. (But you can always send more money.)

     I think this book constitutes a true invasion of the print medium by
the literary net.

     To paraphrase Milton, The Best of Melic seeks "to justify the ways of
Web to men."

     In promoting it, all net writers shall benefit by association, and I
think we shall prove ourselves the equal of Poetry
     and Ploughshares and the other dead tree journals. And remember:
those hallowed journals have boards and deep
     pockets while we have relied solely on the generosity of individual
readers and contributors. By purchasing a copy
     you directly contribute to the literary webolution, and we don't make
a dime on it.

     The authors are too numerous to list, but include Alison Croggan,
Sharon Kourous, Teresa White, Scott Murphy,
     Larry Fontenot, Claudia Grinnell, Ted Burford, Kathleen Carbone,
Michael Largo, Murray Moulding, Lucile
     Blanchard, Rachel Dacus, Scott Murphy, Laird Barron, W.F. Adams, C.J.
Sage, Ric Masten, Shann Palmer, Shari
     Diane Willadson, Steve Harris, Jeffrey Bahr, Arlene Ang, Simmons
Buntin, Suzanne Frischkorn, Mary Ann
     Hazen-Stearns, Ward Kelley, Deanna Madsen Fogel, Kathyrn Rantala,
Walt Phillips, R.L. Swihart, Denver Perkins,
     Jim Zola, and many others, as well as the complete Logopoetry essays
by the editor.

     Call for help: I would be more than happy to send a free copy to
anyone who intends to review the book or wishes
     to stage a reading in honor of its publication at any venue across
this great nation. Please write me if you have
     interest in either opportunity.

     One last thing: The literary world at large seems to think of the net
as a small pond. This is not true. It is in fact a
     very large pond with likely more literary magazines, production,
discussion and interaction than the insular print
     world. The reason we remain a weak sister in terms of prestige is
because we do not generate income like the
     publishing houses. But not even Stephen King could make money online,
so we shouldn't feel so bad. Yet this
     capitalistic bias must be corrected so that someday, literary agents
will surf the web to find tomorrow's writers.

     Thine in Truth and Art,
     C. E. Chaffin, Editor

Cheerwell, Mary :O)

=====