THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub(building)(Bob)

"Dewar Colin [FVPC]" <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:56:47 -0000

text/plain

        Bob,

        Thanks for taking the time to read my poems and to criticise them.
I'm bowled over. You are a prodigious and thoughtful critic of people's
poetry. No doubt you are right about the length and complexity, but can I
suggest along the way that those poems were not mainly about beaches,
islands and buildings etc ? Pretend it mattered. I meant them as
metaphysical arguments, with the images taking the place of propositions in
a rational argument. In their own way they left a lot to the reader.

        Why bother? In part it was a reaction to the modern poetry I read at
the time, but there were earlier influences. Take TS Elliot and co. At best
they wrote long symbolic poems and at worst stupidly obscure ones. They had
few tactile qualities (hence little likelihood of feeling what the poem was
about). Take WC Williams and co. At best they left clear impressions of
things in the world and at worst poetry that was trivial and evasive. Take a
good example of a symbolic poem: In Praise of Limestone, by WH Auden, IMHO
thought of as a descendant of Elliot. Auden is ten times the poet I will
ever be and this is one of his best poems. It's not about Limestone (not
primarily). What purpose does the Limestone serve, if any? It introduces
very few tactile qualities to the poem. So it is hard to feel the feel the
ideas. The poem risks being a two dimensional analogy or it risks being a
prosaic monologue loosely enveloped in a symbolic monologue. Been there done
that. When the idea becomes too complex for its substrate the
phenomenological field of the poem collapses. But that's the very place to
get help from WC Williams and his descendants. They excel in tactile poems.
If ideas can be made tactile then they can be "understood" better than by
any other means. "We do not know things until we feel them in our pulses" or
our skins or eyes. We live through our bodies don't we? I am flattered that
in some of my poems it seems like it is a real person on a real beach,
island or building (however implausibly and with whatever deficiencies or
excesses in my technique). I hoped that it would.

        Don't know that this lets me off the hook though. Should I give my
poems the chain saw test? Probably I should and no doubt they would benefit
in the end, perms and all. I do sometimes write short poems, you'll be glad
to hear.

        Re distorts dead matter to electronic presence etc:

        The distortion is in believing the world to be what it is not, a
dangerous delusion in this case. The ant's raft is in comparison to the
Titanic ship, alluded to earlier which started to suffer a similar fate even
before people were aware of it. A bulldozer is what I imagined would
decisively threaten a group of ants on a floating leaf, but perhaps this is
weak, at least symbolically weak. Could be different and better I guess. As
always.

        Thanks for the crit and keep it coming.

        Colin