THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub(building)(Christina)

"Dewar Colin [FVPC]" <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:14:38 -0000

text/plain

Christina,

Thanks for your helpful comments. Believe it or not some of my poetry is a
reaction to poems I read years ago in libraries, which I found too timid,
merely descriptive or cryptic and which I thought were modern. Don't take
that as an oblique comment on the poetry I've read here, which is too
interesting and diverse to be categorised.

Maybe I was too greedy then.  I felt I had come into a house with a whole
larder full of food and had been given a bag of nuts - nice nuts though they
were-  leaving me to imagine the meal, guess even what the meal was or might
have been. I wanted the cakes and pies on the table too.

I wanted to saturate my poems with images and ideas. The questions I asked
myself were, "What are the most complex ideas and emotional states that can
be put into poetry? and What are the limits of the symbol?" I know too well
how far I have fallen short of my own aspirations. I wish I were more of a
poet.  It's been a great adventure at least. Your comment and others have
come at a good time as I do not think I can go much further in that
direction.

Maybe it proves the old adage that if you lean over too far to prevent
yourself falling backwards you end up falling forwards.

You are right that I do sometimes use words for their sounds, rather than
their phenomenological associations. But not always. Take "kaleidoscope
clouds". When I think of a kaleidoscope I think of a tube held up against
the sky like a telescope. As a child mine was like that. When you turn it
the illuminated patterns change unpredictably, as the clouds (beyond them)
also turn and change unpredictably, as the whole world changes unpredictably
(and often dangerously). But if this image is not a success, I'm glad at
least that the sound comes through. Each image is meant to symbolise the
meaning of the poem, or at least to contribute to a collective picture. The
images approach the same subject over and over again from different angles.
Do we ever know something by seeing it or hearing it once?

I hope I have not sent in too many poems at once. After January I will be
too busy to take part in the list as much as I would like. So you can think
of me as being greedy for criticism in the time available.

Colin