THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Fete and Gala Day (Arthur)

"Dewar Colin [FVPC]" <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:23:13 -0000

text/plain

Arthur,

Vivid, clear and resonant. You are an able songster.

The refs to war beyond and the last stanza looking through time and changes
in the human frame made it for me, increasing the depth of the poem.

I liked 99% of the poem but by now you'll have guessed that I'm not going to
say more about that, just the 1%.

"wondrous" is like one of those used up-words that I have in my poems. Goes
well with summer though. Used up words like beautiful and magnificent can be
used in poems but I'm not sure that I understand the rules by which they are
used, cf Auden's "watching traffic of magnificent clouds". It depends on
what is happening in the the rest of the line, allowing magnificent to be
subordinated and incorporated, I suppose.

new mysteries of dare
ringed and hemmed-in

"dare" is phenomenonlogically strong, carries with it certain associations
not fitting in well with mystery or being ringed and hemmed-in, that come
before and after. This makes it heard to summarise the meaning as I go
through it. I don't mean intellectually. I mean in the way the poem is
immediately felt as it is read.

I liked the first line of the poem much more once I had read the whole poem
through. First time round it put me in mind of an epileptic seizure. Second
and third time it fitted in perfectly.

Colin