Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: What is poetry?

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Dec 2002 21:02:40 +0000

text/plain

Hi Arthur (and all),
Well, I’ve finally got this machine working again! But there’s been too much
happening here - and all the messages coming into my machine seem like a
jigsaw rattling in the box. I sense I can't put all the pieces together too
easily and still have a life. So, I’m just going to have to start from
almost today!

Your piece is an interesting read Arthur. I guess every age, and probably
every culture, has a need to redefine what it sees, and needs, as poetry.
I sort of feel you’re writing about a few things, though, that are distinct.
You’re writing about the process of creating a poem (and how you, yourself,
get a poem to started and get it to work). Then you’re writing about poems
(and the history – and the pre-history - of the product more than the
process). And you’re writing about the poet.
In out increasingly post-modern culture each of these subjects is under
scrutiny (and is being re-evaluated). As an example of where the
distinctions can be shown there’s the other recent mention of Valerie Laws
painting words on sheep. I mean, is she (or the sheep) the poet? Is creating
a (sheep) poem an arbitrary process or event? (And her appreciation of
quantum physics, as well as sheep, makes her venture call into question some
of the things you say about philosophy and science.) That her project was
given a large grant (£2000) means it’s accepted as art (by critics and
judges who share a responsibility for enabling poetry to happen). If I want
to think about poetry I’m not so much worried about the past as intrigued by
the future. My question isn’t why - but, what next?
And, because I sometimes wonder where poetry is and where it’s going, I also
like the succinctness of Sally’s comment about tradition – I guess we all
should be aware that there’s plenty of poems slumbering around us in books,
and we can wake them up now and again and enjoy their company (till they
start yawning and want to go back to bed). As I get older, and write more
and more, it seems important for me to recognise that I need to read what’s
been written before as well as what’s being written today. In other words
“what next?” isn’t a totally open question!
In the past couple of years I’ve enjoyed reading Sean O’Brien’s The
Deregulated Muse (a fine critical book of essays published by Bloodaxe).
Somehow the conclusion he gives about the openness of our culture, and our
poetry (our poetries), seemed an important thing to recognise. But I enjoyed
all the more Bill Herbert and Matthew Hollis’s Strong Words (again a
Bloodaxe book), where the last century’s perceptions of what poetry is, are
explored. I felt, at the end of reading each book, that poetry has an
important place as an art form in our world. Poems, I sense, can make Damien
Hurst and Tracy Emin seem rather dated and passé.
And the definition Steven Waling offered (as told by Philip) seems a good
touchstone for recognising a poem (…that it makes us look up, makes us see
beyond what we see). But, to end on a personal comment, I was delighted when
I was offered a photograph of a bridge for my new Collection: for me that
says something about poetry, about poems, that can more clumsily be “said”
as a means of getting to somewhere we might only have glimpsed before. But
that definition isn’t saying everything, it’s just one that seems helpful. I
think, in appreciating the poems, the picture says more than words that
might only end up trying to blur the poems, stop them taking people places!
Bob