Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: After reading Pasternak

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:22:05 +0000

text/plain

Hi Sallyee,
Sorry I'm so far behind with my reading and writing these little messages...
and I hope it's worth saying that I tend to agree with Christina's comments
about the way you're using your lines and rhymes and words. At times it
sounds like a (clumsy-ish) translation into English! I guess a trip to the
hairdressers would do the poem a bit of good!
On a more quizzical note I wonder who the "we" is in the poem? The
pluralised we/our language is public oration yet I guess, I wonder, how that
fits with Pasternak's situation/temprement and how it fits in a society that
may be hardly familiar with his poetry (and only know about Dr Zhivago
because females took their males to the cinema so they could admire Omar
Shareef!). Then, in the middle, it's "I" - and I guess the inclusive "our"
that you use excludes Pasternak!
I also wonder how much I have to connect to Keat's "After Reading Chapman's
Homer"? I find a tad of an echo in the title myself. But the title may just
be alluding to a tradition of poets writing about other poets - which is all
I found myself.
Bob