Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: The Aire Gap

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:46:11 +0000

text/plain

Hi Arthur,
A long response, this (but, after all, it's a long and complex poem!)And
there's a few shifts of voice, tone and register here.

I like the first section. It sounds very much like you. It sounds
contemporary, it feels accurate to what’s there. In the poem I feel the tone
and texture of the landscape in the way the words work. It's the best imho.

But there’s hints in section 2 of an almost Wordsworthian tone:
“Earth’s tale is written in every rock and read
in any piece I heft, book of ages, that leaf on leaf
shows life that knew the swell of Tethys’ seas
and the slow-pulsed tides of centuries.”
(and the way the next line refers to a curlew is almost Wordsworthian in its
subject shift...).
I don’t like it. I sense the 2nd section of your poem doesn’t relate to any
“serious” poetry I’ve read. (If I’m wrong, please point to examples!) I’d
simply get rid of the whole of it.

The 3rd section is interesting but, again, when you start: “intrepid
speleologist” I feel I’m reading MacGonnigal! So, again, I’d cut those
words!

And I sense the words running away from you when you write:
“the huge mass of the fells
pin you
punch inwards on your chest
TREAD UNDERFOOT
YOU
as you slither like a lizard
through the thin mud”
(tread underfoot/you... doesn’t work!)

And how does your use of language in this section correspond to the words
cavers use? They have their own terms, their ways of describing underground
features they come across, their own ways of describing what they do. I know
there isn’t much literature that draws on caving (certainly not as much as
with climbing and mountaineering) but there’s magazines and guide-books that
may give flavours of how language is used by those who do it. They may give
you specific user’s words as well. I want to feel that the language is
authentic.

It’s again a bit iffy in the 4th section, when you write:
“while over the lip of Ingleborough Hill
the drapes of morning mists in silence spill.” (which sounds almost
Shakesperean!)
and, again, I’d get rid of it!

What have I got against Wordsworth & Shakespeare? Nothing! But I prefer
Arthur! And I want to hear Arthur all the way through an Arthur poem. Not
psuedo-shakespeare, or pseudo-wordsworth - but Arthur! (I'm not saying
you've only got just "one" distinctive voice - but the other registers you
try to shift to in the places I'm worried about don't sound genuine... at
least to me)

And, because you have 2 sections in the 1st person voice and one section in
the 2nd person voice (and a last section with no "voice present ast all!)
I'd also think carefully about how that works... The second person voice
isn't easy to use. (In prose it's harder than in poetry - but, here, you
simply fling your reader into caving without any warning! So, I’d be
cautious about the change to the 2nd person voice in the 3rd section, as
well. The "Intrepid Speleologtist" seems to appear from nowhere! (or is he
the one who was driving in the 1st stanza and , maybe, climbing to his "pot"
in the second section? (If he is then it might be possible to indicate that
he's the caver before the 3rd section begins... But that still doesn't solve
the change from 1st to 2nd person... Being ruthless? Maybe... But I could
also be feeling as if, in using the 2nd person, you’re telling me how I feel
(and I often feel as if I want to say “No” to what I’m being told!). But
that might just be me...
Bob