Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The Flats (Christina, Bob)

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:23:12 +0000

text/plain

Hi Arthur,
Your response to what Christina and I have been writing again shows more
feeling and engagement with the subject than the poem shows. That makes me
tend to think that the poem may not be capable of getting what you want to
get across.
I mean, in your messages you write so well about what The Flats has done to
the people (the children) you know who live there... Perhaps they need to be
part of the writing.
I know you sometimes write where people figure predominantly in the
pieces... I remember how vividly you sketched the characters on a bus
journey earlier this year. And I got a real flavour of the place when you
wrote about the people on the far-away island earlier in the year! In poems,
like with photographs, people can infer place.
Might it be that poems that focus on particular images of the place
alternating with poems that focus on the people might create a sequence that
gets close to where your responses to our comments get?
It could be that one poem isn’t enough to capture the flavour. It might be
that one poem might come out too much like condensed soup, or maybe like
powdered soup, too thick - or too dry. I’m wondering, y see, how poems can
open out into what you think and feel instead of closing down to either
suppress them or give impressions of what you don’t feel.
Anyway, I’m hoping to get away for a couple of days. But, if y want, y can
reply with other thoughts, and what we’re saying can take things even
further.
Bob